Fridge Temperature okay?

Chrisbarnett

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, My first post here. I have had my axolotl for a little while, about 4 months. Anyway he is having some butt flotation issues and he needs to poo. I want to do the fridge thing, But out fridge is pretty darn close to freezing actually. 37.7 degrees F. This is wayy too cold for him right?

If that is way too cold, which I suspect it is, Can I just leave it be until he poops? This is the 3rd day of floatation and I have not fed him for 3 days hoping he will leave me a surprise already.

So how long can I go without feeding?
How long should I give him to poo before I raise the fridge temp. and then chill him down?

Thanks a bunch.

CB

That would be too cold. You need to keep your fridge at 5C or above. Is there some way you can turn up the temperature of the fridge? Usually most fridges have controllers like that.

If your axolotl is floating excessively, fridging is the best idea, yep, so it would be good if you could do that. In the mean time though do you know why your axie is floating? What substrate do you use? What are your temperature and water parameters (ammonia/nitrate/nitrite/ph)?

Alright, the fridge does have plenty of adjustment.

But for right now, I think he is fine, he is not floating tail up at all anymore and is having no bouyancy problems. I think he passed his poo and the filter picked it up.

Right now I have no substrate. Just a bare bottom. I had some large glass drops(Much too big to be swallowed) but waste was falling in between and the filter couldn't get at it. So I took them out. I recently changed his water, about 2 days ago.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the site, Bare tank is fine, and as you have noticed way easier to clean.

One question when you say I changed his water how much are you changing?

I did a 100% water change. Right now he is about 5" long and in a 3gal Marineland eclipse set-up. The all in one set-up. I know this is wayy to small but I will be moving him into a 10 Gal soon.

when I did a 100% water change, the tank doesn't really cycle, because it has a bio wheel, but it's so small and already had the beneficial bacteria growing on it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back