Question: Big gills vs. small gills

Quetzacoatl

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Hello,
on what depends the size of axolotl gills? Why have some axolotls big gills and others small gills?

(sorry for my English ;) )

It's to do with the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water. If there is a plentiful supply of oxygen the gills don't have to work so hard and are therefore often smaller.

Sorry but I beg to differ

It is more to do with genetics, true the amount of feathering or filaments on the gill stubs can change with the amount of dissolved oxygen, but the gill size is largely determined by the genetic make up off the axolotl.

Of my four axies all in the same tank. One has short gills one has very long gills and the other 2 have medium sized gills. the long and short are different stock the the 2 with medium sized gills which are from the same parents

Can someone explain to me why when my axies used to be in plastic containers (100% daily water change) they had big feathery gills and about a week after they moved into the tank, with a filter and a bubbler, their gills have kept their length but lost the feathers? Is it because the water is more oxygenated?
Eve

Hi Eve,

It could be, or it could be a water quality issue. Often loss of gill filaments is a sign of something wrong with your water quality. What are your water parameters.

Or it can mean an abundance of oxygen

Hi Ian,

I test the water weekly and Friday my readings were
pH: 7,6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40
temp: 19ºC

I have a Marineland Penguin 100 filter and an air pump with an airstone bar (which my axies love to prop their butts on).
Eve

Hi Eve,

Your parameters are good, Ph slightly high but still ok, so I would think its down to an abundance of oxygen.

I am assuming there are no other critters in your tank and that there are no fungus issues so I wouldn't worry, or you could ditch the airstone, however if they like it and are happy why worry.

Hi Ian,

I'm not worried about it much I was just wondering. You are right only two axies in the tank and I haven't seen anything that looks like fungus so I'm assuming they are healthy.
Thanks for your help.
Eve

Hi Eve,

Best thing is just to keep an eye on them, and keep on with what you are doing. It doesn't sound like anything except normal axie behaviour.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back