Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl varieties

mrthomasjohansson

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I wonder first of all how many varieties of axolotl exist?

I have been looking for harlequin axolotl for a long time. Does anyone know if this variety exist on the market?

Sincerely
Thomas

Gismonikon

Reaction score
AW: Axolotl varieties

Rare by normal Axolotl
But,
Tigeraxohybrids are often Harlekins-
2008-07-29_180207_627.jpg

2008-09-07_Bild_020.jpg

Theres both possible-
terrestic or neotenic Morphs...

2008-07-27_180207_794.jpg

2008-07-07_180207_730.jpg

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: AW: Axolotl varieties

Gismonikon, can you give us more information on the source of these pictures?

Gismonikon

Reaction score

Thats my Hybrids-
I´ve mate a neotenic Tiger with 2 white female Axolotl 2003-
And thats the result.
The neotenic looks very simular to Axolotl-with very long gills and different colours-
In the F1-Generation the Regeneration was not so good,but thats ok now.
All Hybrids are fertil and sometimes they morphe,see the last two pictures.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Don't you fear that by making hybrids, you may be 'muddying' the gene pool?

Gismonikon

Reaction score

Thats a good question-

This crossbreeding is not new-
it was made several times before and I think the Axolotl Genpool was mixed with Tigers years ago-
Golden and Albinos are very common and they are also Tigerhybrids-
However-
at the moment,I do not give them away,only sometimes exchange with friends who know about the hybrids and the facts
-but.....I´m not shure if it really matters.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score

...at the moment,I do not give them away,only sometimes exchange with friends who know about the hybrids and the facts

They have been given away by you and others for years, even without the information that they are hybrids - I have one of those of the first generation myself. They have been used for breeding (several generations) since then, thereby muddying the genetic pool at least in Germany quite a lot.

Of course there has always been a part of A. tigrinum genes in Axolotls as pets (since Prof. Humphrey created the first albinos) but in my opinion this recent cross breeding was an attempt to play god and did no good to the genetic pool (however nice or interesting they might look). It might have been interesting if it was just for a scientific purpose and the population would have been kept to itself, but they have been sold in dozens to hobbyists knowing almost nothing about genetics.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I apologize for piping in here as I am just a Stupid, but I must say that those animals look kind of unhealthy compared to my more simple versions of axolotls. The animals in the pictures have various body parts looking like straining - eyes, heads, legs - the best example I can think of offhand are pumped up humans on steroids. The pictures kind of hurt me just to look at them. What kind of axolotls are these, again, please?

-Eva

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I apologize for piping in here as I am just a Stupid, but I must say that those animals look kind of unhealthy compared to my more simple versions of axolotls. The animals in the pictures have various body parts looking like straining - eyes, heads, legs - the best example I can think of offhand are pumped up humans on steroids. The pictures kind of hurt me just to look at them. What kind of axolotls are these, again, please?

-Eva

These are direct axolotl X Tiger salamander hybrids, Eva- apparently they are the result of a neotenic male tiger salamander and a female axolotl. I believe the strange look may be because they look a lot like tiger salamander larvae- although I'm no expert on axolotls or their genetics...

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a pity that this is going on in what appears to be an unscientific manner. Humphrey only hybridised the two species in order to get the albino gene into axolotls. Then the tiger salamander influence was diluted enormously in order to retain the albino gene and ~nothing else.

Zalth

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I wonder first of all how many varieties of axolotl exist?

I have been looking for harlequin axolotl for a long time. Does anyone know if this variety exist on the market?

Sincerely
Thomas

Hello Thomas!
I know there's been one axolotl called "Paddis" in Sweden. The girl that kept her sold her at some point, tho.
1575200.jpg
<- "Paddis"

I don't know, but if there's one there should be more, right? I'm not sure where she got her from, but maybe I can find her email!

Alioth

Reaction score
Spot the axolotl on youtube is also like Paddis. I love those colours as well :) .

Star

Reaction score
@Mamatoulouse

I would suspect that as they were crossed with A. tigrinum there is a higher chance they would metamorphose however as the father was neotenic I would hazard a guess that some would reach metamorphosis. I think it would depend on their generation though? F1 could possibly be ~50/50 but later generations would probably have more remaining neotenic. I guess it depends on which gene is dominant and which is recessive. I have no idea in this case :) I could also be talking out of my a*** ;) but that is what I have understood so far of it. I'm guessing someone will jump in and correct me or add more info to what I've said :)

Zalth

Reaction score
Thomas, I contacted the girl that kept Paddis.
She said that she bought her from a girl from Umeå that was moving out, although she sold her to someone else a year ago. I asked if she had any contact details on this new owner.

Haha, I feel like I'm stalking a celeb. The axolotl celeb, Paddis!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1