Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: plastic/real plants

superfin

Reaction score
hiya:D:D i hav recentley(3 weeks ago) bought 4 chinease fire belies and i got some plastic plants for them but i read that plastic plants are only good for robust spieseis are the plants ok for the newts? thank you in advance for any helpful comments:happy:

chris

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Plastic plants are fine. If you are going for a more realistic look, silk plants may be better though. The debate over plastic or live is really up to personal preference.

ShauNewt

Reaction score
Personally I prefer live plants as they grow and can cover as much of the tank as you like for your newts to sit on, and you can cut them when they get too big, but plastic plants are fine and will never die.

superfin

Reaction score
ok ty so much for the help im gona put the palstics in.Ty every1!:D:D:wacko:

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
First of all, I have to say this is all up to you and what you are capable of taking care of. Live plants are great, but remember some have light, ph, temperature, and other requirements to thrive. Also, please do not just buy plants at the aquarium store, research first. Most plants sold in the stores are not totally aquatic and will not thrive, die, and pollute up your tank. If you stay on top of things, plants are wonderful! I would suggest Vallisneria and some aquatic mosses, tied to ornaments for a lovely affect. If you want more information on plants i suggest this link http://www.plantedtank.net/ for they have a great little aquatic plant database. Know what you are buying and plan out your aquascape before you buy your live plants.

Goodluck, and if you chose live plants, it is worth it 100%

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I disagree, live plants will improve the health and stability of your tanks - they have a function in a micro ecosystem other than to look pretty.

True. I didn't mean that it was debatable as to which is better, I meant that it is up to personal preference as to which you put in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1