Convincing Dad to get larger aquarium?

HeavenlyCharmed

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello,

Firstly thankyou for clicking on this thread! Now anyway, I want a larger Axolotl tank for my birthday (120cm long, 60cm wide and I'm not quite sure how tall) and I will pay for it all, EVERYTHING! The problem is I asked my Dad and he simply says no :confused:. He says the aquarium I have is large enough (half the size exactly).
I have two tanks in my room, one with tow Axolotls and the other with Goldfish & Danios. I will give my goldfish tank to my little sister and make the current Axolotl an aquarium for the babies that follow when I get more Axolotls.
I've tried explaning it all to my Dad, he simply says no. He has no good reason why I shouldn't and is just being a pain. If you know anyway to convince him it would be greatly appriciated, by me & my Axolotls!

Regards,

Matt

I dont know what your age is. But i got my first aquarium when i whas 16 years old and had my own job. So i could pay for my stuff. You need to look at a point that your parrents look over it.

You got the electrick bill the water bill. What happends if you go on a vacation ?

Their arent much kids that have big aquariums only if the parents love the aquarium to.
If you still wanna try, make a list off all the things and the costs and let them see you got the money. Make a plan how you would care for your aquarium. What do you do on monday etc.

And just talk "whine" all day long for a couple of months about a bigger aquarium. ( i tryied it myself and it works)

And sometimes waiting is better.

It always helps to win an argument if you have right on your side and know your facts.

If your present tank is only 60cm long and 30 cm wide it is a bit on the small side, adequate for small axolotls but not really two fully grown ones, not so much because axolotls need a lot of space but because the water chemistry is hard to keep stable as they are heavy ammonia producers.

If for any reason you delay partial water changes or hit a filter problem the water quality could deteriorate very quickly.

Try sitting dad in front of the tanks and setups section of this forum and take him through all the threads you can find that recommend 90cm(3ft) or 120cm(4ft) tanks for two fully grown axolotls.;)

Hello

I would like to add another point which is keeping axolotls in a tank can cause the axoltol's swim bladder to develop on one side which can lead to death. I would reccommend you to buy a 78cm long X 35cm width then extend to your aim of a 120cmX60cm tank when you are older.

I don't think axolotl have swim bladders, I have checked in my book ( Axolotl by Peter W Scott) and there is no mention of one . I may be incorrect ( it does happen!!) but I am sure this will be followed up.;)
With regards to your parents, I suspect they are concerned that this may be a passing fad and they may just want to see how you get on with what you have. Keep on with your research and impress them with your knowledge..little bits here and there . I am sure once they see how dedicated you are they may relent.
Keep reading up on the forum, be warned how ever it may become addictive!!, and ask / post any questions if you are unsure of anything.
All the best with your mission and keep us posted.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back