Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

murky water

ryan3640

Reaction score
I just got my axie home and saw she was having trouble getting around on river bed rocks so i took some out and it made the water murky and has been like that for a few hours now. ive done amonia/nitrite tests and they are fine. i was just wondering if you could suggest what could be happening? ive had some feeder fish in there for a week or so. the filter is a gravel one (waiting on bio filter in the mail).

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Ryan,

The problem with under gravel filters is that the muck is stockpiled under the substrate and doesn't leave the water, this causes the water to cloud up.

Having river bed rocks in the tank as substrate makes it even more difficult as the only way to clean under these is to shift the rocks, muck also accumulates under the stones and clouds up the water.

Also, when you originally put the river rocks in the tank - did you rinse them well to remove the silt before putting them in the tank? If not, then moving them now may be stirring up the silt that was left to settle from the rocks when first introduced to the tank.

Are you using pellets at all to feed the axololts? Un-eaten pellets can cause cloudiness as well.

Last edited:

ryan3640

Reaction score
Yeah thats whyive ordered a better suiting filter. where abouts do i get sand from? it seems the stores i go to only have gravel

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought children's play sand for my aquariums from Bunnings - this is the cheap option. If you buy fresh water aquarium sand from the pet store or aquarium, it will cost more. Pool filter sand is another option, but I'm sorry I don't know the cost of the stuff.

Do not use beach sand or marine sand.

The sand will need to be rinsed thoroughly before adding to the tank. I used the bucket method. Put sand in a bucket of water, mix the sand around and pour the water out. Keep this up until water runoff from the sand is clear. Add clean sand to tank.

Last edited:

ryan3640

Reaction score
ok thanks. what do i do with my axie while i'm doing this? and does sand cause a problem for filters?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok thanks. what do i do with my axie while i'm doing this? and does sand cause a problem for filters?

You will need to keep axie out of the tank while doing this change over of sustrate as the sand needs to sit for 24 hours in the tank before putting axie back in.

Just put axie in a bucket of fresh dechlorinated water, keep somewhere cool and quiet and above all SAFE - ie. if you have a cat, put the bucket where the cat can not get to it.

No, sand does not cause any problems for filters. It can be a nuinsance with undergravel filters though, how long until your new filter arrives?

ryan3640

Reaction score
It should be here by tomorrow hopefully. I don't want to have to wait over the weekend for it. i might pop over to bunnings and get me some sand now. thanks for all the help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1