Pond owner in Essex, England

johnwhite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm John and I have a pond at my place on the edge of London. I would like to have a newt population but don't know how I can aquire newts. Can anyone help?

Hi John, and welcome to the site. Always great to hear of someone trying to help their local amphibians.

If the pond is suitable and you have newts in your neighbourhood they will find their way on their own. If you have a well enclosed urban garden it may prove difficult. In cases such as these I would be tempted to collect a few local newt larvae during the spring. By collecting local larvae you run less risk of spreading disease and you won’t harm the adult population. You must take care not to choose a pond used by great crested newts as these are protected; catching or moving them would be illegal.

In many cases it’s best just to wait – you’d be surprised at what turns up.

There's an old abandoned quarry near me that has loads of newts, but I just leave them alone. The quarry is next to a reservoir where they must have all moved from. There must have been more food there. Just look in local ponds and stuff to see what you can find. They'll probably be in with the water plants. I'd do what Mark said with the larvae in the spring.

Why don't you just buy some newts?
It's illegal in the UK to sell native British species that aren't f2 generation captive bred. Please familiarise yourself with the topic before advising potentially illegal activity, Caudatadude28.

Why don't you just buy some newts?
If you are suggesting buying some pet shop newts and putting them into the pond, this would be the same as releasing any non-native animal into the wild - bad for mother nature and probably illegal too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back