Question about barred tiger sal

AllenJones

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AllenJones
So, I just got my barred tiger salamander today from Reptiles and Critters. I thought he would at first be a lot more shy than he is. Anyways, my question is, do they change into the bright yellow and black versions I've seen, because this one isnt actually barred, its more spotted than barred, but he is still real small, maybe 3 inches tops. I can get a pic if needed.
Thanks,
Allen Jones.

Last edited by a moderator:
A picture would be helpful; Someone else posted about their barred tiger from 'reptiles and critters' and was also surprised at a darker coloration than expected.

Most of the wholesaler tigers right now seem to be blotched (melanostictum) or a variant of tigrinum (eastern) that looks like a blotched.

Barreds look like these:

Attachments

• barred_tiger_1.jpg
    barred_tiger_1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,719
yeah, i'll put up a pic tomarrow, i just got off work and am alittle tired. but, i specificly purchased a ''texas barred tiger salamander'' and it definetly looks more like a spotted salamander. ill put a pic up tomarrow. but my original question is, do they grow into that look/corloration? im probably going to be giving them a call after the weekend.

Thanks,
Allen Jones.

In tigers, within a few weeks of metamorphosis the colour and pattern is basically the same it will always be.

Oh and FYI, the tiger in that first photo is definitely from Texas (though it's a particularly nicely marked one).

See, he has too many spots for a 'Texas Barred tiger' in my book. If Im paying $80 for it, i think it should be as specific as the advertized specimen.

Also, this is my first Tiger sal, so i just wanted to make sure his enclosure is done right.

Thanks,
Allen Jones.

Attachments

• picture030tr6.jpg
    picture030tr6.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 393
  • picture032db1.jpg
    picture032db1.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 408
Last edited by a moderator:
It's a tiger alright but it is definitely not a Barred Tiger, Ambystoma mavortium mavortium. It looks to be Ambystoma tigrinum, the Eastern Tiger Salamander. It is difficult to tell with certainty that it is an Eastern though, but it's definitely not a Barred. I'm afraid you've been had by the seller regarding the species/subspecies, and $80 is hugely expensive considering how cheap they are in bait shops and even on Kingsnake. Your setup is very nice though - if you have several inches of that substrate and a moisture gradient it'll be ideal.

Thanks John, I am certainly calling them first thing monday. Im actually at the moment a bit..offended by this situation. And if they try to say otherwise about the transaction, i think this might be a case of false advertizment, being ilegal, but i dont think it'l go to that, i hope. And even more argravating to my defence, ive been almost obsevisly mind set on a 'texas barred tiger' for a few months, and droping over $200 on the sal and the set up im a bit outraged right now that it seems like they are taking advantage of people almost. Thanks for the feedback, and im hoping all goes well for me on monday with my claim.
Thanks,
Allen Jones.

You know I was just thinking about what I said. I can't tell you absolutely it's not a barred tiger, I mean it could be just a really odd looking one, but I have to say I really don't think it is.

The setup looks good. The substrate may be a bit on the overly-moist side, though it's hard to tell from the photos. And I'll assume you have a secure lid - even tigers have been known to climb glass.

Okay, well i just spoke with the owner over the phone, and got done sending over a pic of what i received. He seemed very arogant, and from the sound of it, has absolutly no intention of fixing the situation, but all i can do is hope for the best. for like 3-4 months now, and have spent over $150 in gas going town to town, shop to shop looking for a barred tiger, and i find this site, only not to get what i desire to care for. i think i'll probably resort to a Marbled Salamander, i found on another site, i havent seen any "fake" marbled ones. okay so for my reveiw on the Site, reptilesncritter.com, use this as a last resort, being that you arent going to get what you order. or if you want a mystery package, definitely go with them.
Thanks,
Allen Jones.

Allen,

I get a bit obsessed about species at times (I think many of us here do) but I would urge you to sit on this for a little while before proceeding. Marbleds are beautiful but they don't make great pet salamanders. Tiger salamanders almost always become very tame and make good pets (I'd say 3 out of every 4). Even if it's not a barred it's still a tiger salamander and will make a great pet. If you buy a Marbled Salamander, yes it's beautiful but you'll never see it because they hide all the time, and it will not come out to beg for food. Here's a video I've never shown anyone. These are barred tigers but you get an idea of how much of a pet a tiger can become. The last tiger you see is one of the 1/4 who don't tame down for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQYtqTHjE9s

Notice how they are perfectly fine with being picked up and show zero fear.

I dont think the colors have fully developed yet, 2-3 weeks and you should know for shure.

John you have the most beautiful tigers. In terms of shape and color. I have a few questions though. How many crickets do you feed them per feeding? Also, why do some have longer bars while others have shorter ones? Like your first photo compared to your second. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

John you have the most beautiful tigers. In terms of shape and color.
Well thanks but my tigers are the first photo and the tigers in the video (one of whom is the first photo). The other two photos are tigers that don't belong to me, and the second photo is by Daniel Weiner, one of our moderators. Also, in my opinion by far the most beautiful barred tiger I've ever seen is the one shown in the colour plates of Petranka's Salamanders of the United States and Canada.

I have a few questions though. How many crickets do you feed them per feeding?
I don't count them, and I rarely feed crickets. I usually feed waxworms about once a week, or earthworms once a week. I give them about 5 minutes of hand/tweezer feeding. As soon as they stop reacting to food quickly, I call it quits.

Also, why do some have longer bars while others have shorter ones? Like your first photo compared to your second.
Different geographic races have different pattern types and different individuals have variations.

Allen you might want to name and shame the dealer in the testimonials section of our forum.

Allen, I understand your sentiment about the potential of not getting what you expected. But the animal you received is a nice looking sal....enjoy him as you seek redress. I would agree with John about the species difference. If you want an active sal, stick with the tiger rather than a marbled. I keep 'plain jane' Eastern tigers, although not as beautifully marked as the Barred, they are 'personality' plus and demonstrate the same feeding response as John's two active Barreds and they also have a lack of fear. They 'beg' worse than any dog would. Marbleds are just way too shy.

John, thanks for sharing your video.

also tigers have a brilliant appetite and are quite brave:wacko:

I love my eastern tigers. By far, the most outgoing, awesome caudates I have.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back