New axolotl, got some questions

Gazdaman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Picked up 2 white axolotls today, they're in a pretty big tank.

First off, how much should I be feeding them and how? I've chosen 3mm trout pellets, one of them has eaten once, but that was only because I managed to get the pellet to drop right in front of its nose.

Should I be getting my hand in there and hold it in front of its nose?

They're only small atm, about 4inches. Hatched in March.

Also is it normal for their gills to twitch backwards like they're swallowing every 10 seconds or so? And for them to swim to the surface once in a while? I assume that's for air, because I know they can breathe through their mouths aswell as gills.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there'll be more over the next few days.

Cue my poor camera phone photo.
n673425227_3300706_7117.jpg

(There are two of them, but I can't tell them apart, so just look at the above photo twice)

Gaz

Congrats on the new axolotls :cool: I've got 2 axies about that size as well. Because they're young and still growing, I try to feed them a few times a day. They are pigs. I'd probably give them 2-3 pellets in a session which would be anywhere between 4-7 a day. Axolotls can be a bit lazy when it comes to eating. In their natural environment they would feel the water moving when a meal swims near them. So you may need to get your arm in there and put the feed near their mouth. That way they can smell it and feel it moving. It probably wouldn't hurt to waggle it around a bit :p

As for the twitching and gulping of air, that's either normal behaviour or they aren't getting enough oxygen. You'd have to ask someone more experienced with axies such as a moderator. When you say you've got a big tank, how big is it roughly?

I noticed that my axie will twitch his gills occasionally, especially after eating or if I have moved him for some reason. Just monitor your water levels and temperature to make sure they are ok. He also gulps at the surface, but that is not worrying unless it is happening excessively. As Sheryl said, it means low oxygen if this is happening (so perhaps the tank is too warm).

Have you cycled the tank yet?

Not properly cycled, but I used some stuff that was recommended by the people I got the babies from. Some fresh start or similar.

But I've read up on cycling, and I know they don't have a great reputation. So I've been changing around 20% of the water daily, and vacuuming uneaten food.

They seem to have stopped twitching their gills backwards, unless I annoy them by changing the water and creating turbulance.

One of them is much more outgoing than the other, he'll swim up to the top when I put my hand in, and try to eat me, the other is happy just to laze.

I guess I'll have to start dropping food right in front of their face, the lazier one hasn't eaten a great deal. Whereas the greedy one is happy.

I'll post some more photos in due course.

And the tank is 2ft x 1ft and about a foot deep.

Gaz

Have you tried Biospira? It'll cycle your tank quick. It may be hard to find though.

If you are changing the water and doing spot cleans, that is great, your tank should cycle fine. Yeah I fell for that cycling stuff too, it doesn't really work :) But as you are doing the water changes, no harm done.

Your tank size is ok now but you will need a bigger tank as they get older. The size you have now is good for one adult axolotl only.

My axolotl is lazy too, I have to drop the pellets right on his head. He generally sniffs out the ones he has missed later on, but I hand feed him usually.

Thanks for the comments :)

I've found Jerry will only eat if it drops in front of his face, he's more of a hunter gatherer. Whereas Steve just lets it fall to the bottom of the tank and then will munch it at his own pace.

They don't half produce a lot of waste do they?! I'm gonna get through my entire bottle of de-chlorinator just changing the water at this rate in about a week!

That's fine, when they get bigger I'll get them a bigger place, they look pretty comfortable in there at the moment though.

Gaz

Hi Gaz,

Is it possible for you to let the water stand in open pots for a day or two? This would let the chlorine evaporate and then you wouldn't need dechlorinator (takes up space, though). Note that this won't work for chloramine, which must be actively removed from the water.

I would suggest you look up the website for your local water supplier (or give them a call if they dn't have a website) and find out what chemicals are in your local water supply. This can provide useful information for maintaining your aquarium.

-Eva

Gaz try them with some earthworms. Cut them into smaller pieces if you can only find large ones. My axies love them.

Lovely, I'll give them a go when I can find some. I've just moved to a new house with a completely paved garden, not an inch of grass!

They've started eating a bit more regularly now, providing I drop the pellets right on their head.

Another question, how much activity is normal? Mine have started swimming around a little bit more, granted the temperature has raised by a degree, so now 23 degrees. So I've turned off their light and the radiator in my room.

Gaz

Hi Gaz,

Movement is individual to each axolotl. Younger ones are more active than older ones, they are allusually more active at night, and many will become quite active when they see you once they've figured out that you and food go together.

Enjoy!

-Eva

Lovely, I'll give them a go when I can find some. I've just moved to a new house with a completely paved garden, not an inch of grass!

They've started eating a bit more regularly now, providing I drop the pellets right on their head.

Another question, how much activity is normal? Mine have started swimming around a little bit more, granted the temperature has raised by a degree, so now 23 degrees. So I've turned off their light and the radiator in my room.

Gaz

Eating wise, they may be more slow to eat if they're not that hungry. With my axie, when he's eaten recently, he'll swim around and follow you if you move around the tank, and he'll swim up and sort of rest his nose against the turkey baster when I'm cleaning him out. But when he's hungry he bites at the turkey baster, and he'll attempt to nip the glass too so that's when I know to feed him. Earth worms are great, especially if you get them small enough to feed whole - the wiggling seems to be extremely provocative ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back