Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl rescue

Fiona1504

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
A few days ago, I came to the rescue of an axolotl who was (if you can believe it) about to be flushed down a loo, 'cause the guy who owned him only wanted 'poisonous' things. Charming, I know. So I took him. I've had newts for years, but never one of these. (I currently have Jemma the rough-skinned newt) I have read and read on the site here and elsewhere, and I'm just worried that there is something I might have missed doing/thinking of. Of course, being that he was rescued, the tank into which he went is not cycled, but I did, at least, obtain a good bit of the water from the original tank at the horrible man's house. He is on well-rinsed sand (not beach & not marine), with a hidey-place and some plastic plants, as well as one real java fern, just to help move all the organic stuff along. I'm doing about 25% daily water changes, siphoning out crud with the old turkey baster, and the water temp is right on, plus the water here in Calgary is defintely on the hard side. So far, he's happily stuffed down thawed, frozen bloodworms, and earthworms, which I've chopped up to his size. I'm using the same kind of filter as I have in Jemma Newt's tank. He's such a little cutie--he eats the earthworm pieces right out of my hand. I so want him to be well, but having to act fast was a bit of a pressure situation. ANyway, is there anything else anyone can think of that I might consider? Thanks in advance!

madeve

Reaction score
Hello Fiona and welcome,

I think you have everything going right for now, except that you just need to change 20% of the water daily until your tank is cycled.
If you haven't already have a look at www.axolotl.org most everything you need to know about your new pet is there.
There is also some good articles here http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml .
Good luck and we would love some pictures.
Eve

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Fee and welcome to the site,

Best advice? follow Eves advice and have a look.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!