PDA

View Full Version : To float or not to float, that is the question..

psychoboyjack
28th June 2008, 04:56
Hiya!

Have a bit of a weird problem. One of my guys will float and seem like they're freaking out (and flailing) then will settle down on the bottom with no problems whatsoever. No floating, no freaking out, no flailing. I don't get it. Do they do this for fun?

I think I read a post that talked about them doing it for fun and just chilling there, but this guy doesn't chill. He'll hide under my internal filter or pin himself in the leaves to stop floating.

Then like now, after floating for a bit after I got home from work he's fine on the bottom and just chilling there, staring at me for food after I've already fed the hungry bugger!

Is this normal behaviour?

Water Temp hovers near 20. PH 7.6ish, Ammonia is nearly 0.6 or less than 1.2. Not sure. My test isn't that accurate.

Kiowa
28th June 2008, 07:25
Hello

If your axolotls are frequently floating to the top is may not be normal behaviour and the actions to proceed is to place your axies in a container each provided with shallow decholrinated water then put it in the fridge at a temperature of 41 degrees farenheit. The container must be covered to avoid temperature and light fluctuations and also provide extra bottles of decholorinated water for daily water changes.

Have you checked the Paremeters (must be Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0 and Nitrate 40). The ammonia and Nitrite are the most harmful toxins and must not be above zero. Also check the pH which must be between 7.4-7.6. If below 6.5 pH is harmful and over 8 pH is also inappropiate. It can be harmful because if below 6.5 then it is not effective enough for nitrifying bacteria.

Clean the tank of 20% daily water change and use a gravel cleaner. Your axolotls shall be put in the quarintined tank when the pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are perfect.

If the axolotls is not reaching up to the surface frequently it may be it need more oxygen because it could be gulping air. My axolotls use to do that at first and when I turned valve to increase more oxygen the axolotls were fine.

Good luck with your axolotls.

blueberlin
28th June 2008, 08:18
Hello Jack,

Floating which would indicate the necessity of refrigeration is caused by impaction - an axolotl swallows something indigestible and needs to pass it. Refrigeration slows down an axolotl's metabolism so that it won't starve while it is trying to pass the obstruction. Impaction is often accompanied by abdominal swelling and decreased appetite, but this does not seem to be at issue with your axolotl?

The words "freaking" and "flailing" always seem to me to be keywords for water quality issues. Indeed, you are showing an ammonia reading. Any ammonia reading above 0 is an indication that your tank is not fully cycled. You will need to wait until your ammonia and nitrite readings are both 0 and you show a nitrate reading - this will mean that your tank is cycled. It takes time. If you need more info on cycling, you'll find it here: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

If it is possible for you to put your axolotl elsewhere while this tank is cycling, that would be great. If not, you will need to continue with those daily water changes, but you might want to increase the amount of water you remove.

Hope this helps,

-Eva

ianclick
28th June 2008, 22:16
Hi,

Floating can indicate impaction but it is usually a certain style of floating, head down butt up and a sort of curled look to the body, Have a look at www.axolotl.org .

It can also indicate a lack of oxygen in the water or a water quality issue or it can be nothing. I have an axie that likes to float he specifically gulps air to enhance his ability to float

Natty
11th July 2008, 00:58
Hi,

Floating can indicate impaction but it is usually a certain style of floating, head down butt up and a sort of curled look to the body, Have a look at www.axolotl.org (http://www.axolotl.org) .

It can also indicate a lack of oxygen in the water or a water quality issue or it can be nothing. I have an axie that likes to float he specifically gulps air to enhance his ability to float

i have noticed this with my axie, he will float head up and sometimes ill catch him sink a little bit then he'l gulp water and float again, with just the tippy top of his head above the water, just so that his eyes are still under, he hasnt lost his appetite or anything so im thinking he is fine, although i really do need to get some test kits for the water, ive had him a few weeks and havnt done that yet, hes been all good so far though