What's the most dangerous size difference?

HeavenlyCharmed

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey,

I was thinking of getting another Axolotl and am not sure what size it should be. My largest is around 6 inch and what would be the smallest I could get without it being attacked etc. Thanks. And if you would like to put some helpful facts like how to introduce them etc. it would be greatly appriciated.

Matta

I can not tell you any measures like "If the smaller Axolotl is ... shorter than the larger one, then it won't fit" since this not only depends on length, but on how heavy they are (so to say their figure), how big their head is, their temperament etc. As a rule of thumb I think the smaller animal should be at least 2/3 to 3/4 of the bigger Axolotl.

I would say - the most dangerous size difference is when the head of the smaller Axolotl fits into the wide opened mouth of the bigger one - in this case, the bigger Axolotl might swallow the smaller one.

Hi Matt,

At that size your axie is still a juvenile. Juvenile axies tend to be more aggressive so chances are you will have a confrontation.

At this age it is probably best to get one as close to the same size as the one you have. The cool thing about axolotls is that they have amazing regenerative abilities so if one does get bitten it will most likely be able to
repair the damage.

You could get a tank divider normally a sheet of perspex or glass and divide your tank in half to let them get used to each other. Quarantine the new addition for 30 days before adding it to the tank this will make sure it does not have any illness or disease that could be introduced to your tank.

Good Luck

I will back Ian up on this one Matta. That is exactly how I introduced my newer axolotl to my tank. If the divider is clear they can see each other through it and they are aware of each others presence in the tank and once the new axolotl is about 2/3 of the size of the bigger you can remove the divider. Just keep an eye on them for a little while as they may freak out a little if one touches the other. Like Ian said don't forget to quarantine the new one before adding it to the tank.

Of course you are right with the quarantine, that is an important point!
Considering the divider and the way they can get in contact with each other: I believe that because of their poor eyesight, Axolotls mainly get in contact via pheromones so whenever there is some kind of water exchange, they may recognize each other. The divider is a good solution to separate them but it would be hard for them to get used to each other as long as it fits tightly (so you may drill some holes into it).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back