Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Antisocial

Tommo

Reaction score
Hey, had my axolotl a couple of months now, and it's been fine and pretty sociable. It'd happily swim to the glass for a nose when I was near by, and often swim to the surface when I opened the top of the tank. However, for the last few days (up to a week) it's hardly come from out of his cave, and has seemed very timid and scared, moving to the back of the tank when i go near the glass. I was cleaning the tank at the weekend and it almost jumped out of the tank altogether when it got close to the gravel cleaner I use to siphon the water. I've seen it sit on it in the past, with no concern what so ever. It's looking healthy, and will still feed by hand (if i can get him out of hiding), just seems a little out of character. I'd been feeding it solely on frozen bloodworm until last week, however there are a few bits of gravel in with the sand (that i'm slowly picking out by hand) so I started to give him beef liver last week until I can get all the gravel out as it is easier to feed without him taking the odd piece of gravel. This is the only change in its routine that I can think of. Just thought I'd ask, any words of advice will be greatly appreciated.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as the water conditions are correct ( ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) I suspect there is little wrong. Axolotl will startle from time to time and it may seem a little extreme....seeing the little guys air borne can be rather unsettling ! My axolotl seem to go through spells of wanting to lurk in the darker areas of the tank, generally they tend to appear when the think its time to dine. Do keep an eye on him just in case there is something else going on, and keep up with the taking the gravel out

Tommo

Reaction score
Yeah, the gravels coming out piece at a time. I've spent hours with my arm in the tank digging in the sand to get it out, it's a royal pain the backside.
Well thanks for the advice, I'll keep my eye on him, as much as me staring at him all the time seems to be annoying him. Maybe its a case of like owner like pet, and he's destined to be as grumpy as I am. Either way, I'll be straight back if I notice any problems. And thanks again, I really appreciate the time and effort you guys put into the site and helping people out.

Cori

Reaction score
Yeah, the gravels coming out piece at a time. I've spent hours with my arm in the tank digging in the sand to get it out, it's a royal pain the backside.
Well thanks for the advice, I'll keep my eye on him, as much as me staring at him all the time seems to be annoying him. Maybe its a case of like owner like pet, and he's destined to be as grumpy as I am. Either way, I'll be straight back if I notice any problems. And thanks again, I really appreciate the time and effort you guys put into the site and helping people out.

I think it's fairly normal. Who knows what's going through their heads ? ;p Mine was very sociable, then one day one of my housemates walked into the room and for some bizarre reason this REALLY upset the little guy and he zipped off into his little hideyhole. It's amazing how fast he can swim, he's normally very laid back and, dare I say it, clumsy. He spent a day or two with just his head poking out of this hole, then cheered up when it was dinner time. Your guy will probably be fine :)

Tommo

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd never really seen him move all that quickly prior to the jumping. Really is amazing how fast they can move when they get startled. Well, you've put my mind at rest for now. Let's hope he lightens up in the next couple of days. At least he's still eating, or I'd be pulling my hair out in worry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!