PDA

View Full Version : cricket for ribbed newt food

michael
2nd July 2008, 02:00
When I buy half grown crickets I wind up with a lot left over. Lately I've been freezing some and using them for food for my adult Pleurodeles waltl. The dead thawed out crickets are lot easier for the aquatic salamanders to catch. I'm also experimenting using the thawed out crickets as shrimp and crayfish food.

DosJax 12XU
2nd July 2008, 05:18
Thats pretty interesting. I'm gonna have to try this with some of my animals (newts, shrimp, and fish). I usually end up feeding the left overs to my leachianus, so I'll have to buy a bunch and then freeze them. Do they get that funky dead cricket smell? (I hate that smell)

michael
2nd July 2008, 14:28
so I'll have to buy a bunch and then freeze them. Do they get that funky dead cricket smell? (I hate that smell)[/QUOTE]

I usually get 500 at a time. Normally they are used for food shortly after frozen. Mostly I do it to immobilize them so they don't crawl out of the water. I don't freeze a whole bunch at once and keep them for weeks that way. I'll probably try that but I've had some weird looks before for dead animals in my freezer.