Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Oh did I laugh!!

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Last night I was feeding my axies earthworms as usual and one had a worm half in, half out of her mouth, the other came up and tried to bite the same worm! It was so funny watching the two of them have a tug of war with the worm! :grin: The one who had the worm originally won and sucked it in quick so that her sister couldn't steal it again! Maybe I'll try to hold the middle of a worm tonight see who wins the tug of war this time! Oh what fun and games! Just thought I'd share that with you! Wish I'd had a camera handy to film it! Kerry.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
well I can tell you who won't win the tug of war.....................................the worm lol. Watch your fingers if you're holding the worm or else you may be the appetiser lol.

Just one thing Kerry, If you can try feeding them at separate ends of the tank. I know its not always easy if they both spot the same worm but sometimes the worm will wrap itself around a part of the axolotls body. Obviously the other axolotl doesn't care about this and may try to bite the worm and take a part of the other axies body with it.
I have witnessed this myself when a worm coiled itself around my leucistics foot. Unfortunately the wildtype spotted the worm and made a grab for it along with poor Gloria's foot. It shredded her fingers slightly and she was obviously sore for a few days. Just a little tip.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Thanks Becky, usually I DO feed them apart from each other. I hand feed them in turn from my fingers straight to their mouth so there's no chance of a stray worm getting where it shouldn't! There are occasions when they wander off mid feed to have a private chomp and I drop the rest of the worms in for them to find later, but that's the exception rather than the rule, thanks for your advice though, I'll bear it in mind, Kerry.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Sarah and Rich,

that's what my son said when I told him!

I moved their tank to a different room yesterday as the temp was a bit high, and now they're sulking from all the movement so they wouldn't take any worms from me at all! They seem a bit more sociable today so we might get a re-match!! Kerry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!