Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New tank

FOG

Reaction score
I have just moved my Axie into a huge tank i have. Once my ammonia and nitrite were a steady zero i assumed, from what I've read on cycling, that my new tank was cycled (been cycling for around 6 weeks). I put my Axie into a tub with his aquarium water. I put the filter straight into a bucket of aquarium water along with the ornaments, so I could add the sand out of his old tank. Topped the old aquarium water up with fresh decholrinated water and put everything back in. Straight after in went my Axie. Theres very little, if any at all, water movement as the filters facing the glass and covered with plastic plants to restrict the flow. The temperature is 19C, but now my parameters have changed, is this normal? Ammonia is still zero, but the Nitrite reading has gone up to around 0.8, PH and Nitrate are still normal. My Axie hasn't touched his food at all tonight, I'm guessing this is from the stress of moving tanks, but could the Nitrite reading have anything to do with it? Any ideas why its suddenly appeared as it was zero before.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have just moved my Axie into a huge tank i have. Once my ammonia and nitrite were a steady zero i assumed, from what I've read on cycling, that my new tank was cycled (been cycling for around 6 weeks).

Hi Aimee,

For a complete cycle, yes the ammonia and nitrite should read at a consistant '0', but the Nitrate should read between 10 and 60. What is the Nitrate reading?

I put my Axie into a tub with his aquarium water. I put the filter straight into a bucket of aquarium water along with the ornaments, so I could add the sand out of his old tank. Topped the old aquarium water up with fresh decholrinated water and put everything back in. Straight after in went my Axie. Theres very little, if any at all, water movement as the filters facing the glass and covered with plastic plants to restrict the flow. The temperature is 19C, but now my parameters have changed, is this normal? Ammonia is still zero, but the Nitrite reading has gone up to around 0.8, PH and Nitrate are still normal. My Axie hasn't touched his food at all tonight, I'm guessing this is from the stress of moving tanks, but could the Nitrite reading have anything to do with it? Any ideas why its suddenly appeared as it was zero before.

Is the filter new? Soaking a new filter in a bucket of the tank water before placing in the tank is not sufficient time to allow bacteria to collonise a new filter.

If you are using the old filter from the previous tank than this is fine. Putting it and the ornaments in the bucket of tank water was the correct thing to do.

I recall from your previous threads that your old tank is quite small and you've transferred everything from this small tank to a 'huge' tank? Using the old tank water but adding a greater amount of dechlorinated water I would say your tank is going through a 'mini cycle'.

You will need to monitor your Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate until the tank recompletes the cycle.

The axie will just need a little time to adjust to his/her new environment, it may take a few days.

Last edited:

FOG

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply :) My Nitrate reading is 50 and the PH is 7.3. The filter was in the big tank while it cycled, i didn't have one in the small tank. All the ornaments, except for one were also in the bigger tank while it cycled. My axie has just eaten a small amount, i had to drop the food right in front of his nose, i think he was just having trouble finding it. Will the 'mini-cycle' take very long to complete? Also, apologies for just calling it 'huge', I've just measure it, it's 2ft x 1ft x 1.5ft, roughly 85 litres. Would this be big enough to house 2 axies?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply :) My Nitrate reading is 50 and the PH is 7.3. The filter was in the big tank while it cycled, i didn't have one in the small tank. All the ornaments, except for one were also in the bigger tank while it cycled. My axie has just eaten a small amount, i had to drop the food right in front of his nose, i think he was just having trouble finding it. Will the 'mini-cycle' take very long to complete?

Ah! I'm sorry, I misunderstood you - I thought you were transferring from small to large tank.

If I may ask, how long has the readings for ammonia and nitrite been at '0'? If the Nitrite is rising, but the ammonia is '0' - then the cycling just may not be quite finished.

Also, apologies for just calling it 'huge', I've just measure it, it's 2ft x 1ft x 1.5ft, roughly 85 litres. Would this be big enough to house 2 axies?

I think this is a nice size for one, but I'm sorry I'm one of those who would say it is too small for two axolotls - but technically yes it is doable.

Saspotato

Reaction score
Hey Fog,

Predicting cycling is pretty difficult unfortunately. Just keep monitoring the water parameters and do 20% water changes each day that it continues to cycle and you should be fine :)

Jacq is right, that tank would be too small for two adults I am afraid. Axolotls need a fair bit of floorspace and having two adults in a tank that size could also lead to water quality issues as they are pretty messy creatures.

If your axolotl is having trouble finding the food, try hand feeding instead perhaps?

FOG

Reaction score
I have been doing 20% water changes since my Nitrite levels shot back up and it appears to be having the opposite effect. Nitrate is slowly rising. Ammonia is still zero, and everything else is as it should be. Any idea as to why its not going back down? Squishy doesn't seem at all bothered by it, still eating etc but I'm starting to worry.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Aimee,

Since your tank is cycled (ammonia and nitrite at 0), could increased nitrate be resulting from increased waste that has been processed by your helpful bacteria? For example, have you added more animals to the aquarium? Another thought, have you tested your tap water?

-Eva

FOG

Reaction score
No new animals, just the one axie still. All wastes removed, checked under plants, hides etc. I'll test the water tonight when I do my water change and see if thats the problem. It's really got me confused as it's only the nitrite thats going a bit mental.

blueberlin

Reaction score
If you're just finishing getting the tank cycled, maybe that is why the nitrate reading seems higher than you are used to it being? You know, it wasn't higher before because there were still levels of ammonia and nitite being processed, and now that the bacteria are in place, the nitrate is higher and the other are 0?

FOG

Reaction score
Ammoina and nitrite were zero, PH, nitrate and the temperature were all fine. I assumed the tank was cycled. Put my axie in there, and now my nitrites come back, but everything else has stayed normal.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Well sure, the axolotl is producing waste which is being turned into nitrate by your bacteria chain. Look at it the other way - if you did not put your axolotl (or other source of waste; i.e., ammonia) back into the tank, the bacteria would eventually have starved.

It sounds to me like your tank is successfully cycled and all you have left to do are the regular water changes that are part of normal aquarium maintenance.

-Eva

FOG

Reaction score
Great :) Thanks for that, you're a great help :) One last thing, the regular water changes, should they be weekly, daily, fortnightly?

blueberlin

Reaction score
Actually that is something I've been wondering myself. I usualy do it weekly (on weekends) just because I think the sand needs cleaning and after I've siphoned it out, I need to add more water anyway. I honestly don't know if that is excessive, but my water values are great - and the sand is pretty clean.

-Eva

FOG

Reaction score
I've been doing it every other day, if not every day. I don't have siphon so i spot clean it daily with a turkey baster. I never have to get up any left over food, Squishy seems to do the vacuuming for me :) After an hour theres nothing left anywhere. So, weekly changes should be fine then? Thats brilliant as i work silly hours at work and the last thing i want to be doing at night is water changes.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Hi Aimee,

I know we spoke about this in the chat but I just wanted to add what we spoke about for the sake of "closing" this thread.

You need to get a siphon. Don't let anyone sell you anything fancy; just get the tube with the bell at the end of it. The siphon will help remove the light dusting of waste materials that coats the surfaces of your aquarium. They are also very inexpensive, usually around 5 of the local currency.

Good luck!

-Eva

ali000

Reaction score
Hi Aimee,
Here in the u.k 'pets at home' sell the type of syphon Eva is talking about (wouldn't recommend buying anything else from them though :mad:)
It's very cheap (£2.99 I think) and has a squeezy bulb at one end. My hubby has a much more expensive one that he uses on his fish tanks but it involves a lot of plunging to get the water flowing and creates a lot of disturbance and so is completely unsuitable for axies, I have found the cheaper one works a treat.

Alison

FOG

Reaction score
Thank you both for your help :) I'll definately get one at the weekend. I wonder if I can teach Squishy to use it instead ;)

blueberlin

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be practical! Although, I have snails that do a pretty good job.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1