Ashley G

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Ashley G
Hi there all,
I would like some help.
Firstly I came home from staying the night out last night to find my female gold axy very pale and looking very much dead:blush:...I thought she was until i saw her "flick" one side of her gills.
She had a leg chopped off 2-3 wks ago (just to add note)
As soon as I saw that she moved her gills I quickly tried to scoop her up with my net and took her to the local wet pets pet shop. While trying to scoop her up, she did not move at all, she was in the corner behind my filter tube thing and very difficult to reach. I touched her and just the force of me trying to get her moved her, she didnt move herself (does that kind of make sence?). she just seemed to float backwards:violent:
once in the fish bag she went spaz (as you do) and so by the time she got to the fish store she looked healthy and normal.
very angry that I couldn't really explain what she looked like before so she's spending a few days there as they didnt know what was wrong with her.:mad:
Any way back to my point, thought she was dead, very pale, her filiments were decoloured (white-ish not the usual red) and she only moved one half of her gills not both like usual.
i have no idea what is wrong with her.
By the way water conditions were perfectly normal no ammonia etc and i also got it professionaly tested and we got the same, also i have the heater on in their tank at the moment as it's winter (set at 17degC)
any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks Ash

How old is she Ashley?
Its possible she was just asleep.
My two get themselves into some strange positions sometimes and look almost dead until something stirs them.
The gills do go paler when they are resting. As soon as they become active the blood flows rushes into the gills, hence they flush a darker red.
Have you any idea what sort of care or treatments the fish store are going to use. Be wary if they try to use any medications they say she needs (at your cost). A lot of "fish" medications are toxic to axolotls. If your water is fine then I don't see any need for you to leave her in the shop.
Is she in the display area?

My initial thoughts are that she was just 'chilling',as gr33neyes suggested, but then I started to wonder if this may be related to her leg injury. Is the wound site looking clean or improving in appearance ?

She is about 6 months as far as i know. About 12cm ish. The leg seems to be fine the fish guy said it wasn't infected or has fungus etc. they have a few axys in there store. it was more to keep an eye on her then anything else because i can't really wait and watch someing die( if thats what she is to do) i never really realised that they sleep as such. I trust Pete and nicholas i go there all the time and they help me with so much. she lives with a male as they are a breeding pair but I'm just feeding them up a bit before i try.
thanks for that.
I'll go check on her later today or tomorrow

So I heard from the wet pets and my axy is fine and ready to be picked up. thanks you guys for the support etc looks like i just overreacted hehe :blush:
oops!!!
thanks anyway!!!:kill:

Your very welcome Ashley. Better to have overreacted then to have left it and the poor thing was really sick.
Hope your axolotl continues to do well for you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back