Lighting

sichbo1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what kind of lighting they use in their axie tanks. I think the lighting I have is a bit strong and was wondering if there were specific bulbs that are perfect for axolotls.

Axies do not like light. I have moon bulbs in my tank, but I only turn them on if I am camera happy, or when I am cleaning the tank out. I have noticed that the moon bulbs do very well for taking pictures with and it doesnt seem to stress the axies out as much. But like I said I only turn them on for short period of time.

Thank you for your quick reply. What are moon bulbs? They sound good.I hope they are available in the UK.
I read on the main axolotl website that its necessary to use lighting with real plants.

Hi there, I don't have any light with my Axolotls - however, the plants are suffering - so I'm considering getting one of those little clip-on fish tank lights, just to have over the plants in the day.

Lighting will stress out your axies. Thats why most people dont use real plants as they need light. Plus, the axies will uproot them anyway.

Even when using the moon bulbs, I would not recommend using them to much. But I have noticed that moon bulbs are less stressing on the axies when I do have it on.

Lighting will stress out your axies. Thats why most people dont use real plants as they need light. Plus, the axies will uproot them anyway.

Yeah, I know what you're saying Terri9967 (and I do agree) - but I'm going to give it a go anyway. Light I'm looking at is really small (just to go over a small section of the tank). Plus I'll make sure they have extra hiding spots before I do.

I'm wanting some floating plants as well as just general pond weed - for them to spawn in, so don't really need to root :)

Goes without saying, if it does end up stressing them out - I'll remove the light.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Don't be to scared of lights. The sun does occasionally shine in Mexico! I run very densely planted tanks, not just the odd dot plant, a solid tangle of Elodea and Egeria with watercress and mint chucked on top. In my muddy bottom tank I have a water lily. The Elodea and Egeria thrive lit with a single fluorescent strip, un-rooted in a bare bottom tank. Watercress seems to need two strip lights to thrive. It's quite dark at the bottom under all this vegetation, the axolotls often lie on the bottom or rest semi-vertical in the weed hoping for food from heaven!

They do not appear stressed, they looked a little agitated when I moved every fluorescent I possess on top of them in an attempt to get enough light to the bottom for a decent photo.

At the moment I'm using 16 hours light a day. I think it is suppressing sexual maturity and will cut light to 11 hours when all my axies are 25cm+. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all disappear into plants.

Provided your axies can get out of it light is OK. Do make sure it does not raise the temperature too much, an open hood helps.

ooo, Oceanblue!
I love this response about light! It seems to me that a more "natural setting" is what most of us are striving for and without question that involves some form of lighting. Thanks for giving it the reasonable and logical explanation, providing most of us with a picture in our heads of a very happy home to provide for our Axie friends as well. Of course none of us want stressed Axies, so getting that balance is trial and error, but as long as they have an escape from the harshness of whatever wattage of bulb is used, we're on our way to a great set-up. My only question about the light is do they eventually adjust to the "on" or "off" moment? Too bad there's not a light you can turn on that gradually gets up to brightness or likewise, gradually dims off - instead of the instant on or instant off...
New Axie Mom - today! Paula

Don't be to scared of lights. The sun does occasionally shine in Mexico!

LOL! :D ...I've got my light, but it doesn't fit on the timer - so I need to get some extensions.

I switched it on for a few hours while I was in the other day (just to see how the Axolotls reacted), and the tank looked great - Axolotls didn't seem to get "stressed".

I'll be happier to leave it on longer when the timer is set and the plants get a little more dense.

Speaking of lighting can I ask a question too. I was thinking of putting a energy saver buld in a normal desk lamp over tank as these bulbs gradually get bright and dim when off, seems they don't have such a harsh on/off brigtness. My question is does this type of light actually provide anything for the plants? Being this is what I need the light for? much apreciated if anyone had any thoughts. cheers nat

My axies do not seem to be upset by the sharp on/off of the light unlike some tropical fish. I've crept up on them in the dark with a red LED headlight (which they seem blind to) just after the lights have gone out and they are un-fazed. They seem to be more mobile and drift slowly round the tank at night, more like they did in the day when they were smaller.

I've attached a picture of the bare bottomed tank. There is a bit of camera shake and the lighting is four fluorescent strips for photography as opposed to the one normally. The axies were distinctly edgy at the disturbance and extra light and it shows in their gills.

Attachments

• weedy tank larger.jpg
    weedy tank larger.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 297
Speaking of lighting can I ask a question too. I was thinking of putting a energy saver buld in a normal desk lamp over tank as these bulbs gradually get bright and dim when off, seems they don't have such a harsh on/off brigtness. My question is does this type of light actually provide anything for the plants? Being this is what I need the light for? much apreciated if anyone had any thoughts. cheers nat
There you go...that's what I was wondering...I like the gradual on off...there are full-spectrum bulbs offered for people who have "SAD" (seasonally affective disorder, a very simple description is "winter blues" but that doesn't begin to describe the condition).I would imagine this would give the plants some of the spectrum they need...while offering lighting which would benefit the Axolotl...
But there is one big difference between compact fluorescent and incandescent - there is definitely a heat problem with the regular incadescent bulb
I know that when I was getting replacement bulbs for my fishtank, the gentleman asked if I was growing plants, since I didn't have any in that tank I was given a bulb which was more red, and gave the tank a pinkish glow...odd, but apparently it was better for the fish...I am assuming that the bulb leaning to the blue spectrum is better for the plants, but he did say there is more algae production from this type of bulb
If you used one of the full spectrum, I would imagine it would be a good balance...regular bulbs even if called "daylight" or whatever are not an actual "full spectrum" bulb offering the range so definitely seek it out by the name "full spectrum".
Only thing is they are a lot more money...and I think there would be a heat problem from the incandescent style bulb wouldn't there?
Happy hunting...Paula

Full-spectrum light is light that covers the electromagnetic spectrum from infrared through near-ultrviolet, or all wavelengths that are useful to plant or animal life; in particular, sunlight is considered full spectrum, even though the solar spectral distribution reaching Earth varies with time of day, latitude, and atmospheric conditions.
"Full-spectrum" is not a technical term when applied to an electric light bulb but rather a marketing term implying that the product emulates natural light.

Products marketed as "full-spectrum" may produce light throughout the entire spectrum, but actually do not produce an even spectral distribution, and may not even differ substantially from lights not marketed as "full-spectrum"

Lightbox therapy, otherwise known as phototherapy, is a recognized modality for depression (such as SAD). Depending on the quality of the light, it is estimated that 10,000 lux is needed for effective treatment. Not all light boxes are the same

In terms of what colour or wavelength works best for photosynthesis, Red works best, blue light is absorbed but it has too much energy so some of the energy from the excitation is lost through the carotenoids which act to protect the manganese cluster (site of water oxidation). Green light is not absorbed as chlorophyll is not excited by green light.

Bottom line is axolotls don't really like light but live plants do.

Whatever you chose the issue is how much heat is produced and do you have places for your axolotls to go to get away from it

Whatever you chose the issue is how much heat is produced and do you have places for your axolotls to go to get away from it

I second that Ian, light in mine is soley for the plants - only one corner has light, rest is dark. Cheers, Phil

I love heavily planted tanks and am in the process of trying to establish one; Oceanblue will take note of your varieties that need little light. Axies are nocturnal, so I only use my light during the day, for about 7 hours and it is always turned off from about 4pm onwards. My two have several hides, and I feed them at night to try and mirror a "natural" environment. And I've not seen any signs of stress at all, and they are both very healthy. Heat is a problem here over summer, so varieties that cope with low light are a must for me.

In terms of what colour or wavelength works best for photosynthesis, Red works best, blue light is absorbed but it has too much energy so some of the energy from the excitation is lost through the carotenoids which act to protect the manganese cluster (site of water oxidation). Green light is not absorbed as chlorophyll is not excited by green light.

Thankyou! That's just exactly why I love this site! I appreciate your full explanation, and for confirming for me the difference between the red/blue issue.

I have noticed my three babies are much happier now that I have taken out one of the bulbs (the cover came with two fluorescents) and I am having it on for just the bare amount for the plants I have also provided even more light filtering floating plants and hidey-holes.
Again, thanks Ian
Paula

Last edited:
One other point on the colour of the light and plants. The carotenoids control plant growth and under red only the plants grow straggly. Blue produces bushy growth. In practice if the source is a fluorescent both are equally efficient as the blue light wastes energy in the plant while the red light has lost energy in the light phosphor. Both quanta started off as ultra-violet.

I've used various fancy fluorescents and several years ago found ones designed for botanic use such as gro-lux (a blue and red mix) were better than standard fluorescents, but recently I've found ordinary fluorescents equally satisfactory.

Modern standard tubes have better phosphors than they used to and are a lot cheaper and longer lasting than posh aquarium bulbs. Don't get too obsessed with the claims of superiority of a special bulb. Just use enough light for the plants and give enough shade to the axolotls!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back