Gill Flapping

Tommo

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Hey, I know this topic gets brought up on a regular basis, and I'm aware of the reason 'lotls do it. I'm just curious as to how often is actually normal? I did use the search function but couldn't find a really conclusive answer. Aristotle sometimes flaps his gills quite excessively, about 6 or 7 times in a row every 7-10 seconds if he is stationary, sometimes more. I can't be 100% sure but I think his gills have got a bit longer since I've had him. Was just wondering if an airstone is in order? All i use currently is the filter that came with the tank (Vision 180 tank, with a Compact H filter), there is plenty of surface movement though. Just him and 2 platies in the tank.

I did never count the flapping and have no statistics on that ;) Gill flapping is not only for the purpose of getting oxygen. If something gets caught in the gills, Axolotls would want to get rid of that - by flapping more than normal.
If you already have a surface movement, an airstone won't bring any improvements. The airstone does not supply any additional oxygen (this depends on the water temperature - what is it in your tank?), it just keeps the water and surface in movement, supporting any gas exchange between water and surrounding air.

Haha, sorry, I appreciate I must seem awfully pedantic. The temperatures at a constant 15/16 c. The little chaps happy enough and eating well, after getting over a bit of an anti-social period he went through last week after I scared him when cleaning his tank, I just wanna make sure everything is normal and that he's comfortable.

Another question, seeing as I'm here; I was wondering if there would be any potential problems with adding another axolotl to the tank? Aristotle has been on his own in the tank for about a month now, and I really have no idea if they are at all territorial.

Axolotls live well enough alone or in company. But if you are considering company for the axie, the new arrival must be quarantined for 30 days before being put in the tank with Aristotle to ensure disease is not introduced to Aristotle.

But this all depends on the size of your tank. What is the length/width/depth? - length being most important. For two axolotls, the minimum aquarium length recommended is three foot (90cm).

You will also need multi hiding places so the axies can spend 'time out' from one another if they need to. The general guide is twice as many hides to the number of axies in the tank. ie. Two axolotls = Four hides.

Last edited:
width =92 cm
depth = 41 cm
height = 55 cm
Any possible problems there? I was under the impression that I should be ok with the tank size.?

No problem at all for two axolotls, those measurements are for a three foot tank.

As for the gill flapping, can I stop worrying, it's not too excessive?

If the gills are growing and the axie is eating I would say there is no problem. However, if you could post your water parameters so we can eliminate the water quality as a possible issue that would be of help.

This thread gives very helpful information on axolotl's gills: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50470&highlight=flapping

Has your tank been cycled? This article provides detail on what cycling involves http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

All i use currently is the filter that came with the tank (Vision 180 tank, with a Compact H filter), there is plenty of surface movement though.

Is the water flow output from this filter being deflected or dissipated as not to disturb the axolotl? Axolotl's find any water movement stressfull, if the gills are curled forward this is an indicator that the axie is stressed.

Without taking the water to the nearest petshop I wouldn't be all that sure on my water parameters. The tank was cycled with 3 platies, and it was a couple of months before I got around to getting my 'lotl. The platies had started breeding by the time he was put in, so i assumed everything was fine. And yes, the output pipe is against the glass, facing slightly upwards. There is plenty of surface movement, but current in the tank is negligible. This was my first concern when I got him, but he's never really shown any symptoms of being stressed, so I think I'm ok. I'm going to have to fork out for a testing kit by the looks, just to put my mind at rest and then I think I'll be sorted. He has a 20% water change weekly, and waste is removed when I see it. Everything looks healthy so I've not been that worried, but I guess it's best to be safe.
Thanks for the help, Havelock, much appreciated.

I'm going to have to fork out for a testing kit by the looks, just to put my mind at rest and then I think I'll be sorted. He has a 20% water change weekly, and waste is removed when I see it. Everything looks healthy so I've not been that worried, but I guess it's best to be safe.
Thanks for the help, Havelock, much appreciated.

No worries Tommo :happy:

If you are forking out for a test kit, I would recommend you buy the liquid test tube kits - not the test strips. Test strips are notorious for giving woefully inaccurate readings, or as a good friend of mine says "they lie!".

But if your tank is fully cycled, everything is going fine, you are doing the weekly partial water changes, removing the grot, and the axie is healthy and happy - I wouldn't worry about the test kits - but if it 'puts your mind at rest' by all means obtain them.

Ammonia and Nitrite should read as a consistant '0' and Nitrate should be from 10 - 60 to indicate a full cycle.

Cheers Jacq.

Last edited:
To add a minor thing on to what Havelock has mentioned about the test kits, make sure if you get a ph kit you get one with a wide range of values. My friend had one that only went down to 6 and her fish kept dying. Her ph test kit kept coming up with 6 as the value but when she had the water tested properly she actually had a ph of 3! (I think that is like the acidity of vinegar). But the test kit did not allow for anything lower than 6...

Seeing as your tank is cycled and you are consistent with water changes you might just want to get an ammonia test kit and a pH test kit. Since my tank was cycled I have never checked the nitrate or nitrite and have not had any issues. Some people say that pH is not that important as axolotls can live in a wide range (6.5-8) but I notice mine drops over time so always like to test it now and again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back