Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

not eating

hanniebumblebee

Reaction score
my albino axolotl isnt eating much, he used to eat about 5 cubes of frozen blood worm every other day now he only eats 1 if not just a half of 1. its weird becuase my other axolotl used to eat about this ammount when my albino was eating well, can some1 help me x

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hello Hannie,

What has changed? Have you moved the axolotl to a new aquarium? How long has he been in this one? What are your water parameters (levels of ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH)? Has the water temperature risen? What do you have as substrate in the aquarium (sand, gravel, bare bottom)?

Please provide more information to help solve the riddle.

-Eva

hanniebumblebee

Reaction score
umm i have never moved them. the water has a high nitrate content judging by the brown algae that it gets... for substrate i use big pieces of rock and large pebbles (bigger than their heads). he still wont eat. he did have a problem a few months ago with eating smaller pebbles which i have now removed nd as far as i know he has passed all of them (as i removed them from the tank as i found them lol) help me please x

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Is it possible for you to test the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate of the water? What is the temperature, has it started rising with summer?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1