Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Getting a bigger tank

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Hello, please excuse me if I'm going over old subjects but I need some advice on setting up a new tank.
Firstly is it best to keep my axies in their current 3 and half foot tank and cycle the new 4 foot tank? Or would it be ok to add all the sand, decorations etc. to the new tank (along with the axolotls), will the new tank start cycling, or will there be enough bacteria on the old stuff to just carry on where it left off? By the way, my last water readings were 0 ammonia but also negligable (sp?) nitrate and nitrite, so I think my tank is still cycling)
Secondly, what's the best thing to clean an old tank with? It's a second-hand tank so I want to make sure there is nothing left in it that will harm my two axies. Is it ok to use ordinary disinfectant?
Thanks for reading, Kerry.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kerry,

Just transfer everything over to the new tank including the tank water. Do not scrub anything! Do not clean the filter.

Place the axies in a bucket of their tank water while you are transferring everything across.

Your tank may go through a 'mini cycle' while the beneficial bacterias are recollonising the new tank wall surfaces. You just need to continue to do what you are doing at present while your tank cycles or is kicked into a mini cycle, monitor the levels and do the daily 10-20% water changes...you know the drill! ;)

This thread has details on cleaning a tank thoroughly: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55044&highlight=smoke

Cheers Jacq.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I made an error in the size of my tank the axies are in now, it's 2 and a half foot not 3 and a half foot as I wrote previously in this thread! I discovered this when I went to pick up the new tank today..........it's HUGE!! Actually 4ft x 1ft x 1.5ft, I think my axies are going to love it! Kerry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1