Axolotl doing GREAT!

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AGreenDarkness
I just wanted to let everyone know that my axolotl is doing so good, when she first arrived she seemed very stressed and I even posted a thread asking for help because her gills were very curled. Well i have tested the water etc. and everything seems normal and after a couple weeks in her new home she is happy as a clam! She swims around and is always eager to float around looking adorable! I am feeding her amphibian pellets which she seems to love and will eat about 3 or 4 a day, since she is a juvenile I am assuming she needs to eat a lot because she is still growing. I am going to try to post pictures soon I am so proud of her! Thank you everyone for giving me advice on how to make her more comfortable in her new home. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated, I am so glad to have this community so I can get some help when I have questions and I can read about and see pictures of other peoples amazing pets. Thanks everyone!

What else would you like to know?
Ask away....we're all friends here.
Don't mind what you ask even if you think its silly.
Glad to hear your axolotl is doing well......keep it up!

Have you tried any live foods yet? They do love a bit of something wriggly.

Look forward to seeing your pictures of her.

I don't really have any more questions as of now, just kind of confused because everyone says "don't put rocks in their tanks", "Don't let their temperature get to high or too low", "Don't over feed or make sure to feed enough". But I basically bought a tank and got her two weeks later and put her in and once she settled in she has been perfectly fine swimming around and eating well (I am currently trying to find a pet store that sells worms or something alive for Squishy to eat but so far it has been in vain) so I guess I feel like I'm doing something wrong but she seems so happy.

Also, does anyone know how quickly she will grow? I am anxious to see her start getting bigger.

... I guess I feel like I'm doing something wrong but she seems so happy.

:happy: That's how we all feel at the start. Axolotls are actually pretty robust animals. Stick with the general requirements ( http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm ) and they will be fine.

Worms - you can find worms at a fishing (bait) shop. You might have more luck finding live foods if you look for aquarium shops rather than more conventional pet shops (kittens, puppies, birds).

Larvae grow pretty quickly - mine grew roughly 1 cm a week - but start slowing down once they reach about 4 or 5 inches. The older they get, the slower they get. Growth depends on many factors, including just plain individuality.

Keep your chin up!

-Eva

I live in PA and feed mine nightcrawler that I get from the local bait store, they LOVE them. Just cut the worms to the same size as the width of your axie.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back