Question: Is this filter okay?

samfam4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking at buying a couple of filters (have two tanks). I have found the following type "Hydor Crystal 1". Would this be okay? Would I need to modify in anyway? ie spray bar and if so how do I do this? Thanks

Hi Debbie,

I am not familiar with that brand name. But here are a couple of things to look for Flow Rate, how much water will it filter per hour and is this consistent with the volume of your tank. Is it adjustable can you turn the flow rate up and down and does it have a disperser (spray bar) also if it is an internal filter how much heat will it generate.

Good Luck

Hi Click

It does have an adjustable flow and the people I bought it from said it was right for my tank. It doesn't have a disperser bar but I was going to get/make one and join it with tubing. It has got a directional spray so I can direct it towards the side.

Hi Debbie,

In that case it sounds like a winner. Its all down to trial and error really, I had two external waterfall filters (Cheep Variety) and changed to a recognised brand considered to be one of the good ones and priced accordingly. Truth is it didn't do as good job as the waterfall ones so $380 later I changed back.

My thoughts on the matter are now if its not broken don't fix it.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back