Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help me out!

legend

Reaction score
I am wondering if i can ask the people on here a few questions? I am hoping that someone can help me!!!! I have been checking out the Axolotls for a little while now and i was wondering if i need to aquire a permit to have one? I live in Delaware/USA. If i do then were would i go to aquire a permit? Where can i actually buy some Axies? Also is shipping safe for them? I see alot of people shipping fish at what not but i wasnt sure if that is actually safe.

legend

Reaction score
Wow i thought that maybe i could find a lil help but this site dosent seem to be to active. I will just check back some other time thanx

Saspotato

Reaction score
You only waited 43 minutes for a reply... that is not a long time to wait on a forum of this size. Be patient and someone will answer your question. There were only a few views of this thread anyway, so you should realise that not many people have checked your post yet, and your question is very specific about one state in the US, and this is an international forum.

Anyway, I googled around and could not find any information about axolotls and Delaware. I know they are illegal in California and perhaps other states. Have you gone to local pet stores to see if they stock them? Also you could post in the Species Wanted section of this forum.

FOG

Reaction score
Don't forget about the time difference. I'm in England and its 2:30am here. A lot of the people that come on here are probably asleep. Like Saspotato said, your best bet is asking in your local pet shop. They'll know if its illegal, and will most likely be able to order you one in if it is legal.

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Hello, I just found your post and I wanted to let you know that I live in Pennsylvania/USA and I just bought my axolotl. It is VERY hard to find an axolotl in America and I had to do extensive research to find someone to send it to me. I ordered my axolotl from Nilesbio.com, they might be sold out now since it isn't breeding time for axies but they were very prompt and my axie showed up healthy and completely safe. Just a tid bit to try and help you out.

Quetzalcoatl

Reaction score
This reminds me of one of those Monty Python skits: "I want to buy a license for my pet fish, Eric."

I wouldn't think you'd need any kind of permit to keep an axolotl, but it is news to me that they are illegal in California! Why is that?!

And we have no trouble finding them here,. In fact, it's hard to find homes for them all. A local middle school teacher breeds them, and always a a dozen or two for sale ($15 each) each spring.

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Wow I wish I had met you while I doing my quest for the axolotl haha (much like the quest for the holy grail) I was very picky though and wanted a leucistic type axolotl, so that was a little more difficult to find. Quite soon though I may be looking for a wildtype for my boyfriend who has now decided axolotls are cool. Thanks for your post it's great to hear that someone is so interested in axolotls to breed them!

Terri9967

Reaction score
Hi GreenDarkness, I too live in PA and was very difficult for me to find the. Even my local pet shop was in a search to find them. I found mine from a listing by a private person in Calif and I had to have mine shipped from Calif. Now my pet store is hoping that I have a male and female and that I breed them so they can sell them at the pet shop.

legend

Reaction score
thanks for the info yeah i know i didnt wait to long i am used to forums that are really busy. But i realized that there was so many people from diff time zones and wanted my info fast. I called around to all my fish and wildlife places and did numerous amounts of research with them to c if i could actually obtain one without a permit cause here in Delaware we arent even allowed to obtain snakes,Snakehead fish, Piranha, Chinchilla and what not without having a permit to house them and they have to come out and check your equipment and setup to make sure that you are able to hold them for a great deal in time and make sure that you arent going to release them into the wild or whatever. This state is pretty dumb. But thanx for the replies and if anyone else knows of a site other then Nilesbio.com that sells them i would really like the info that would be great. BTW i dont need a permit to have one or atleast there was nottin that my fish and wildlife place knew of.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hard time finding axolotls? I have a hard time getting rid of all mine! I end up culling a fair bit of them, as I can't find homes.

Check the for-sale sections. There are almost always axolotls for sale there.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Then think about something else, quickly! (Sometimes it is better to do quickly what nature would do slowly and painfully.) But this is not about the moral or ethical considerations of euthenasia. This is about people looking in the "For sale" section of the Forum. ;)

-Eva

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I don't kill them, per se (I couldn't. Too much a softy). I leave them in with mom n dad, to fend for themselves. It's somewhat like what would happen in nature.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1