Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

breeding

hanniebumblebee

Reaction score
i really want my axies to breed the place where i got them from said that they had had eggs from the pair of them in the past but since i have got them home like 6 months ago i have had nothing :( i was wondering if there were any tips people could give me on breeding :) x

Jake

Reaction score
Have you taken a look at the breeding/rearing pages of axolotl.org ? That will help you out a lot. Mine just breed when they feel like it or when I do a good water change, but usually they'll lay eggs when you least expect it.

Kiowa

Reaction score
Hello

The breeding season is mainly from December to june but its normal that axololts breed during odd times of the year like yours might do and I hope they will produce lovely and sweet axolotl larvae.

philbaker76

Reaction score
...i was wondering if there were any tips people could give me on breeding :) x

Hi there, it's best to leave them to it.

However, you can get them to spawn by dropping the water temperature (couple of pop bottles with frozen water in should do the trick). When you do this add some plants, and keep them in the dark for a couple of days.

...also, play some Barry White. :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've also found they don't like an audience. Mine usually breed when I'm gone for a long weekend.

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
Hi there, it's best to leave them to it.

However, you can get them to spawn by dropping the water temperature (couple of pop bottles with frozen water in should do the trick). When you do this add some plants, and keep them in the dark for a couple of days.

...also, play some Barry White. :D

I discovered that mine went for it after a larger than normal (but colder) water change of about 35%...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1