Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Water changes

Jess

Reaction score
Okay, how exactly do you do a water change?

Do I just take some water out and then put some plain tap water into replace it?

Do I need to dechlorinate the water BEFORE I put it in the tank, or can I use the dechlorinator on all of the water after I add it?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Jess,

In an established aquarium, I find it most convenient simply to replace the water taken out when I siphon the bottom of the tank clean.

If you are currently doing daily water changes, you can also use the siphon to remove the water.

You will need to either check the website of or call your local water company to see if you have chlorine or chloramine (or neither) in your water. If neither, great! You can use water straight from the tap. If you have chlorine, you can let the water stand in open containers (buckets, pots) overnight and they will be good to go. If you have chloramine, you need to use a dechlorinater - and this should be added to the water (as per directions) before the water is added to the tank.

-Eva

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1