Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can you harm axies by touching them?

Jess

Reaction score
I'm just curious, I know you cant touch fish because of the bacteria or whatever from your hands.

Does the same go for axies?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Jess,

Like fish, axolotls have a slime coat over their skin that serves as a shield against their environment. Touching them (fish or axolotls) can damage this coat, making them vulnerable to various infections. I also find that their skin is very delicate and easily damaged.

If you need to touch your axolotl (e.g., to move it into a container), do so as quickly, gently, and briefly as possible. They aren't really pets in the sense that you can pet them.

At the risk of being pedantic, I will also note you should always wash your hands and forearms very well (and rinse off the soap very well) before putting your hands in the water, much less touching the axolotls.

-Eva

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You can use a bowl, or if you're gentle, use your hands. Nets work, but can be damaging in their own right.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I agree with Kaysie - when transporting my axolotl larvae with a net, I slightly injured two of the six - they each have little nicks taken out of their tails. You can also use your hands (see picture) but putting a bowl or container into the aquarium and gently nudging the axolotl into it is probably the least stressful way of moving them.

howtohold.gif

-Eva

Foxylady

Reaction score
If there ever came a situation where you have to handle an axolotl directly , as a vet student i would recommend washing your hands and arms thoroughly as suggested by the other users and as an added precaution wearing some non-powdered latex gloves and making sure your hands are always in the water so are wet or wetted prior to and during handling.:eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1