Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White mites

platinum

Reaction score
After a short holiday, I came back to find two of my terrestrial tanks infested by white mites. The only problems I've ever had with these before were in fruit fly containers.

Both tanks have beechwood leaf litter substrate. I can't see any quantity of mites inside the tanks, and there's none on the juvenile newt occupants (T marmoratus and T. granulosa), but they were congregating in thousands around the top exterior of the affected tanks. This evening I took out the newts, dumped the whole contents and scalded out each tank. The tanks are now outside in torrential rain and I've put the newts on wet kitchen towel in two replacement tanks standing on 'mite paper.'

Will this solve the problem? Do the mites come from the leaf litter? Can they affect the health of my animals, or me--I have a damaged immune system? Or do they come from waxworm cultures? There are signs of infestation on two of my glass waxworm breeding containers. I've wiped the jars with Dettol surface cleaner and stood them on mite paper.

Miss JR

Reaction score
Sounds about right, as far as I know these mites are harmless

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The mites can come with the leaf litter. Their are lots of kinds of mites and they probably were not bothering the animals. Many people do have mite allergies. Some types of isopods eat mites. I often seed tanks with isopods and springtails to help keep mites, mold, fungus, etc. down. It Mite be a good idea for you.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Are they mites? or springtails? I know I get blooms of springtails on occasion.

platinum

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

Both tanks do have springtails, but these are definitely mites--very like those you find in older fruit fly cultures.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1