Hello

kdawg2293

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone. My name is Kenneth, i'm from Nebraska. I just recently got my first salamander about a week ago. I got him from one of my friends who works at a baitshop and accidently recieved the sal. in a shipment of minnows or something. I was a little skeptical about that as I read that bait sals. don't do well sometimes. He seems to be doing fine though. I hope to get a couple more salamanders but haven't really decided what kind yet. That's why im here, for help and info.

Hello Kenneth,

That's definitely one of the more interesting "How I got my first newt" stories I've read so far!

If you post a photo of your new salamader in the newt section, folks here are very good at identifying species:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47

In any case, welcome to the forum!

-Eva

Thank you! I was just about to post some pictures and ask if anyone new what he was. I'm not sure if theres laws against sals. in Nebraska, but hopefully the little guy won't hafta be set free.

I hope not, too! Especially because he may not have come from Nebraska. ;)

A quick google gave me this info:
http://www.api4animals.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_state.php?s=ne
"(1) No person shall keep in captivity in this state any wild birds, any wild mammals, any nongame wildlife in need of conservation as determined by the commission under section 37-805, or any wildlife determined to be an endangered or threatened species under the Endangered Species Act or section 37-806 without first having obtained a permit to do so as provided by section 37-478 or 37-479."

You would need to contact your Wildlife and Fisheries (Game and Parks?) Dept. for a permit, should you need one.

Also this:
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusne163_4_s008.htm

You'll know more once you've identified the little fellow.

-Eva

Sorry its taking so long the forum wont let me post the pictures because they are to big so i'e been trying to compress them. (with no luck)

Instead of compressing them, try resizing them.

-Eva

I've resised them, but its still to large at just over 1 megabyte

Excuse my ignorance,

Is a "bait sal" what the name suggests and what sort of fish would they be used to catch?

Excuse my ignorance,

Is a "bait sal" what the name suggests and what sort of fish would they be used to catch?

Yes, as the name suggests, salamanders and frogs are quite the esteemed bait for larger gamefish such as bass and pickerel.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back