Photo: What is it?

kdawg2293

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here, finally, i have a pic of my unkown sal. It's a little blurry, it was taken on a cell at 3 in the morning!(20 minutes ago lol) Hopefully someone can help me out with this. I'll be posting more pics as soon as i get them resized

Attachments

• sal2.bmp
    240.2 KB · Views: 117
This certainly looks like some kind of tigersalamander. Is it in water? It already completed metamorphosis so you should keep it terrestrially.

He has a cage now that is completly aquatic accept for a large rock. I had him in a tank that was half land hald water and he would not leave the water for days, so finally i just switched him to an all aqautic tank with the rock and the only time ive seen him out of the water was one night at three or so in the morning he was sitting on top of his rock. After about ten minutes he went back to the water and i have never seen him on land again.:confused:

I recall reading that tiger salamanders are not happy to crawl on rocks as they are burrowers. Perhaps something more appropriate - covered - for him?

-Eva

Makes sense rocks are hard and lumpy lol. His first cage though had actuall land though not just a big rock, and he wouldn't even go near it. I dont know ill try whatever makes him happy though:wacko:

another photo

Attachments

• sal4.bmp
    229.7 KB · Views: 115
Unless you provide appropriate land, the tiger salamander will not go on land. They need land in which they can burrow, and lots of hides. Tiger salamanders which are kept aquatically can easily drown.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back