temperature of my aquarium

asprine

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Display Name
Mario Rodriguez
Hi! I just need some quick info.

Here in Mex. City is summer and weather can get pretty hot... my tank's water is going up to almost 21°. Is there any way of reducing my axolotls tank temperature? I've hid it from the light as possible other than that I don't know what to do. Throw Ice? please help!!!

Umm... is moving it into another cooler room possible? Also, the lower to the ground that tank is, the cooler it will be. There's a few degrees in variance there. Lower levels of the house (if applicable). Or you could try frozen water in soda bottles. There's a guide somewhere on the site about that *searches*

Haha! I found it! http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

I live in Texas and was having the same problem.

I have my tank right in front of a window AC unit, and that has made all of the difference. I used frozen bottles of water to get it down to the desired temp, and the AC keeps it there.

Well i put a fan next to it and i'm going to start using the bottles... bcause here in mex you don't encounter AC so often because we don't really use it... weather in mex city pretty much stays the same all year... so well i'll try like that... he's looking happy and he's eating fine and he's at the bottom of the tank, no signs of stress but i don't wanna cause much fuzz with this temp. problem

Firstly stop panicking. Healthy well looked after axolotls can with stand temperatures of up to 24 degrees. Anything over that and they start getting real sick.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back