My Newt problem and pictures

Miss JR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I have had my newts for about 4/5 months and unfortunately one passed away 2 days ago. Some members of the forum who "coached" me during his sickness suggested that I post pictures of my surviving newt to see if people could confirm/deny whether he/she is a paddle tail or not.
Also having problems with algae (which is visible in the pics) and small microbes/bacterium that look like miniature snails. Despite the fact the entire tank was cleaned about 2 weeks ago. Is this dangerous to my newt and does anyone know how to get rid of this.
Thanks on advance for your help,

Attachments

• DSC00053.jpg
    DSC00053.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC00058.jpg
    DSC00058.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC00054.jpg
    DSC00054.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00057.jpg
    DSC00057.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 138
Your tank looks fine to me. Algae growth is not bad as long as you do not let it overwhelm the tank. Algae provides food for various microorganisms that can help maintain water quality. Just keep your filter in good working order, provide regular partial water changes, and purchase a good quality test kit so that you can check the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels from time to time.
Chip

Your newt is most certainly a paddletail (Pachytriton labiatus). When you see algae and those little snail-like creatures, you should jump for joy that your tank is fully cycled and becoming a full-fledged ecosystem. You should not attempt to completely eradicate these things. Removing the algae from the places where it looks ugly, of course, is perfectly understandable. See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back