Help is my AXIE sick?

R4pture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone help. I'm not sure if I am right for worrying or not
I have three axxies which are a whitesh pink colour with dark eyes (not albino) I have noticed that over the past motnh in their gills there are what looks similar to dried blood inside the gills. I have no idea what it is if it is just colouring or even if its natural or not. the tops of their head seem to be a slighly blueish colour as well on the left and right.
I have also noticed some small pieces missing out of their tails and have no idea if this is in any way related
The are in a 2 foot tank (trying to get a bigger one at the moment)
the water is always left to age before cleaning and changing
there are 2 giant swan mussels in with them and a filter, which i have on low setting. I now feed them alternate days with frozen blood worm. they also seem to be less lively now than they used to be

Ok your axolotls colouring is known as leucistic. The gills can display some darkness in their pigmentation.
They can also look very veiny.
The pieces missing out of their tails is where they have nipped each other. This is perfectly normal as axolotls will try to eat anything which moves including each other.

Do you know how old they all are?
They also need a more varied diet then just bloodworm.
Earthworms, woodliceand slugs can be fed. Just check the area you get them from hasnt had any pesticides/chemicals added to the ground.
In addition to the live food prawns and liver may also be fed.
They will become less active as they age, in fact I find mine are more active during the night.

Can you post a picture of them and your tank?

Last edited:
Hi, just wanted to throw in that a lot of the time when my axie is relaxing in her tank or just not being active the blood drains out of her gills and they appear almost clear but once she starts moving around the blood comes back in and her gills are lush and pink. I don't know if that is what is going on with your axie but I wanted to let you know thats what mine does.

Ok your axolotls colouring is known as leucistic. The gills can display some darkness in their pigmentation.
They can also look very veiny.
The pieces missing out of their tails is where they have nipped each other. This is perfectly normal as axolotls will try to eat anything which moves including each other.

Do you know how old they all are?
They also need a more varied diet then just bloodworm.
Earthworms, woodliceand slugs can be fed. Just check the area you get them from hasnt had any pesticides/chemicals added to the ground.
In addition to the live food prawns and liver may also be fed.
They will become less active as they age, in fact I find mine are more active during the night.

Can you post a picture of them and your tank?
Thank you
so does anyone know what the "dried blood" inside the gills is? would that be normal? I say it looks like dried blood but it might not be. also the blueish tinge to the bottom of the gill where the ears would be.
I will try to get some pictures uploaded but my camera phone is on the blink at the moment so as soon as its fixed (soon I hope) then I will post some up here.
I am unsure where to get the worms and woodlice etc from as I do not have a garden I am very worried about contamination can anyone offer any advice?

Hello,
The 'dried blood' you mention sounds like the natural colouring of a leucistic axie, the blue colouring might be also, but without a picture it's hard to say.
If you search online there are companies that sell worms for feeding to pets. You could search for 'live pet food' or something similar. I got mine from a company called Worms Direct that sell worms for wormeries, fish food, pet food etc. I've found the most economical way of feeding my axolotls is to run a small wormery, the worms just keep coming!!! Have a look on the website of that company I mentioned under their FAQ and they explain how to set up a small wormery. Good luck!! Kerry.

I too think the marks on the head and gills sound like normal pigmentation in a leucistic. The pigment sometimes remains deep and looks blue like a bruise.

The tail damage is probably also the axolotls occasionally nipping each other. If the nicks are on the bottom of the tail it is possibly the mussels. They are a potential toe trapper see http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back