Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Shell Grit to adjust PH

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 200 litre tank with a PH reading of 6.6

One of my axolotls (Eowyn) had started to shed her skin, which I thought was being caused by the acidic PH. Water parameters are Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, PH 6.6 and water temperature 11.3 degrees celcius.

I have added two stockings stuffed each with about two cups of shell grit which I placed in the water about 25 hours ago in an attempt to raise the PH - this has made no difference to my PH reading. But on a good note, Eowyn has stopped shedding and looks better.

Does anyone have any idea how much shell grit approxiamately I should be adding to raise the PH from 6.6 to the more desired range 7.0 - 7.6 for a four foot tank and how long this should take?

Do I need to allow more time, just hold my horses and cultivate some patience? :uhoh:

Cheers Jacq.

Saspotato

Reaction score
Hi Havelock,

It is a bit of trial and error. I use a cup of shell grit in a stocking in a 60L to raise the PH from low 6 to 7.

6.6 should be fine though, it is within acceptable ranges. Sometimes axolotls shed their skin for no particular reason. If Eowyn is still eating she should be fine. But shell grit won't hurt. :)

Personally, I would just keep adding some every few days until you get a rise in pH. I was told by a friend who is an experienced aquarium keeper that it helps to put the shell grit near the filter but I have no idea if a. this is true or b. if it is true, why this would be the case!

Good luck!

Abrahm

Reaction score
I don't think you really need to worry about changing the pH. It is within the acceptable range and it is a lot easier if you can use the pH of the water you have available than to try and keep the pH stable. It would be pretty easy to have wild pH swings if you only change the water that is in the tank.

If you feel you must change the pH of your water it would be best to modify the water before you add it to the axolotl tank so that you can control the pH before your axolotl is in it. It should allow you to keep the system in better balance.

I also don't imagine that your axie shedding was a problem. They can shed quite often, but it is normally not observed. Did the shed skin look odd?

Personally, I would just keep adding some every few days until you get a rise in pH. I was told by a friend who is an experienced aquarium keeper that it helps to put the shell grit near the filter but I have no idea if a. this is true or b. if it is true, why this would be the case!

This is true. If you put the calcium in the filter or near the outflow you get more water passing over it, exposing it to the dissolving powers of water more frequently. If the calcium is in a part of the tank with little to no water flow an area of high dissolved calcium carbonate can form around it which prevents further dissolving.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also don't imagine that your axie shedding was a problem. They can shed quite often, but it is normally not observed. Did the shed skin look odd?

Ah, that's a relief. I wasn't aware that axolotls shed often. No, it didn't look odd, it just worried me as I have never observed it before in any of my axies and had assumed it to be a sign of ill health.

Better safe than sorry though!

Many thanks Abrahm and Saspotato. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1