Behavior

brella

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just wanted to start by saying sorry for posting so much...

One of my axies wasn't moving too much when I first got it today, it was just sitting in the corner. But this evening, it's been swimming near the surface of the water from one side to the other over and over. It hits its snout on the edge of the tank every time. The other one is fine, just hanging out and occasionally swimming.
Is this normal behavior to swim back and forward for hours?

Thanks!

Hi Brella,

I have a young axolotl that does the same, including hitting its snout on the glass. If all other factors in your aquarium are correct, I would just assume it is normal behavior.

-Eva

I guess I also wanted to ask...what is "normal" axolotl type behavior? What do they usually do throughout the day?

"Normal" depends on their age and their individual "personality". Younger axolotls are more active than older ones. I have six juveniles right now. They have been in their aquarium for about 3 weeks. One of them still does the swim back and forth / step on your brother / bump into the glass thing, one just sits around but in plain view, two like to hang out in the plants, and one I have never seen again as he is always hiding.

I have two adults and the male mostly also likes to hide; the female is much more active and interactive (she begs for food when someone is near her tank).

At night, they all become more active - axolotls are nocturnal - in the night, they "dance" - they swim slowly and quite gracefully back and forth through the water.

Does that help any?

-Eva

My axolotl did the same thing for about a week after I first got him. I have no idea why as he does not do it anymore, maybe he was learning the size of the tank - who knows! Axolotls' eyesight tends to be poor also.

Anyway as to what they do all day, younger axolotls tend to be more active than adults but I find that my axolotl sleeps during the day and becomes active in the evening and also very early in the morning (that is when he tends to hunt guppies). This is pretty common as they are nocturnal. He has become far less active than when I got him at six months old (now a year and a half old) and sometimes he doesn't seem to move for a few days so I think he is dead - then I feed him and he wakes up pretty quick I can tell you ;).

Basically I would only be worried if your axolotl stops eating for an extended period, shows sign of disease or serious injury, or has a stress sign such as forward facing gills, excessive floating or a curled tail tip.

The first month or so is worrying for new axolotl owners. I worried at every little thing so can understand what you are going through. But as long as you keep the water quality high, provide a cool and not too bright environment and feed them a good diet, your axolotls should have no issues. :)

Hi Brella,

Normal axolotl behaviour is lots of sitting around mixed with occasional swimming and eating and occasional trips to the top of the tank to get air and floating. Some axolotls are more active than others but thats pretty much what they do

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back