Food Options for Axies

brella

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got my axies yesterday and so far I fed them twice. They really liked the frozen brine shrimp but unfortantely it makes a big mess! It starts falling apart right when placed in the tank. I've used a turkey baser to remove as much extra food as I could but there are still some crumbs left behind.
Are there other options for food that axies like but that aren't as messy?
Thanks.

You could feed them live earth worms or frozen blood worm. How big are your Axies?

They are pretty small...3-4 inches.
Can I buy earth worms at the pet store? Would I give them a whole one?

I bought my pack of earthworms from a pet store. Try shopping at stores that stock reptile accessories, since I find they have a higher likelihood of stocking live invertebrate food as well. Whether you feed them whole or not depends on the size of the earthworm. If they're large, then you can always chop them up into smaller pieces. Someone else on here may be able to tell you a specific size to cut them down to.

Hi Brella,

I feed mine earthworms, and as areynoldssr stated, best place to get them is a bait/tackle shop. They are fresher and stay alive longer. As for feeding them whole, if you still have babies the rule of thumb is to cut the worm into pieces the size of your axies mouth. My axies LOVE earthworms and there is NO mess to clean up. Blood worms can be harder to clean up, as any blood worms not eaten will burrow into the sand you have in your tank. I have my axies eating the earthworms right out of my hand now. SOOOOO cool!!!

I have 2 axies and I take one whole earthworm and cut it up and feed them twice a day till they become adults. (so mine eat 2 whole worms each day) But they would eat nonstop if I let them, they are such little pigs. LOL

If you can't find a bait shop close to you . Wal-mart sales them as well. Some times they have the smaller red worms which I think would be small enough for your guys to to whole.

"I just got my axies yesterday and so far I fed them twice." Brella

Congratulations on your new Axies, Brella!
We got ours yesterday as well, and it's clear they love to eat. I had the same issue as you with the shrimp, and am thankful there's a cleaner but just as healthy solution to the greasy mess of the Brine Shrimp...I just spent the last hour using the baster, and I know I still have bits in there...it's the greasy slime on top of the water and the cloudiness that's left now...not to mention the smell....eeeewww :eek:
I also have learned that the grape sized beach pebbles as a substrate are a no-go,they look beautiful but the food just disappears between them and the little guys aren't big enough to move the rocks...I did make three bare spots as food areas, which work like a charm, and they all move to them if they see my hand coming...but I am not so fond of the idea of so much "guck" being trapped and festering throughout the rest of the tank...so out they come!
Again, congrats on your babies! Paula

I find that bloodworms work great until your babies are to the point where you want to feed them whole ( or even chopped up earthworms ). You can buy something thats called 'fish gum drops' at most petstores. They are frozen clumps of bloodworms and you can even buy 40 gum drops in one package. You never have to worry about running out and needing to hurry to the store at the last minute. Great for raising hungry axolotls!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back