Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just wondering..

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Hello again,
I am just wondering if it is possible for axolotls to have different colored eyes?
Squishy is an leucistic as you can tell from all the pictures I have posted lately, but my mom pointed out recently that it looks as though Squish has one brown eye with a bright reflective ring around it and one blue eye that has a smaller reflective ring around it.
I was just wondering if I am crazy and seeing things or if Axies really do sometimes have monochromatic eyes (I think thats the right word for it)

Thanks for any information you can give me. If she was a little bigger I could maybe get a better picture but right now its just a blur when I try to get up close to her eye.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I have seen pictures of axolotls with different colored eyes.

-Eva

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Ok yet another dumb question from me...how many toes are axolotls supposed to have on their hind legs? right now I am counting six on one foot and five on the other, as soon as I tried to take a picture of the one with six toes she swam behind her rock and is now pretending I don't exist.. I am not sure if she has an extra one or is missing one but I am almost positive it should be five toes on her hind legs. So when I counted six i felt strange...help?

naymo

Reaction score
Hey there,
Its quite okay and common for axies to have a few less and a few more toes then normal. This is due to either them not developing their "correct" amount of toes or due to some being bitten off previously, they do grow back and this alone can sometimes result in more toes than expected. Its also quite normal for axies to miss lother bits and pieces due to getting bitten off, but if yyou give them a lot of TLC, the limbs and apppendages should grow back in now time. =)

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Ok thank you! I was just shocked because it seems every time I turn around I see something else that is strange haha. But I did notice her toes because they are started to turn black on the ends, I think this means she is becoming sexually active? Which brings up another thing, I am beginning to think "she" is a "he" because there seems to be blob growing in between "her" legs. Ha this is all so confusing, hopefully when s/he gets older I won't be posting every two minutes about something strange I have seen. Thanks again, I really hope I can get a picture of her little 6th toe.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi ,

Normally 4 toes on front feet and 5 on the back but as naymo says due to regeneration of injuries more can and do grow I have one axie with 6 front toes

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Oh your axie with 6 front toes must be adorable! It is really strange because it does look like there is a toe growing on top of one of her back toes and all the other ones are starting to get black nails where she is becoming sexually active except the extra one which is very tinny and has gone un noticed for like a month and a half ha.

ianclick

Reaction score
Actually it looks kind of weird

The two extra toes point upwards at about 90 degrees to the normal ones but he is an aixe with lots of character and it all adds to the picture. I will see if he will hold still long enough for a clear photo.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1