Hi everyone!

pixiegriff

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am Paula
I was born in Coventry England, but have resided in Canada since 1976
Our family consists of my husband, two boys (trying for baby #3), two dogs, two cats, a giant back yard filled with perennial and tree friends, and now 3 wonderful Axolotl additions!
We couldn't help but fall in love with these lovely "water dogs" and gobbled up much information here about them, and have been back and forth to the Aquarium store we found them at on a weekly basis while setting up and getting the tank ready. They are all the same age, but we have a small one, slightly larger one, and a bit bigger one...all white with the dark eyes. Pretty pale today, but we're hoping it's just the move. They are in a 30 breeder tank, with plants, simple hood lighting but with many hiding places and floating plants and beach pebble size substrate (grape sized). Our water has been testing well for about a month now (cycling for over two months) but it does show a harder water rating, and a bit of alkalinity...need to consult about safe remedies...have been doing the weekly 25 - 30% water change. Our house is air-conditioned, and the tank is not heated or placed by any windows...so we know it's not warm...but don't yet have the sticky thermometer on the side - need to get a reading on actual temp! Phew, the things you can forget in the excitement of it all!
GLAD THIS SITE IS HERE...IT'S BEEN A WEALTH OF INFORMATION...THANKS TO EVERYONE WE HAVEN'T MET-YET!!!!! Paula

Hello Pixiegriff

'Welcome to the forum' we are all glad to meet you and your three lovely axolotls.
Your doing EXCLLENT JOB with your axolotls, you have learnt knowledge well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back