Strange Behaviour!

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my two axies have been behaving rather strangely today.
Since first thing this morning they have been more active than usual and Lottie won't leave Lexi alone!
I found an escapee worm on the floor this morning, which i put in the tank, they were both going mad trying to sniff out the worm. Lottie could obviously smell it but kept biting her sister (brother?) instead. She must've bit her about 5 times, luckily no physical damage that I can see.
Then once Lottie had found the worm and had it in her mouth Lexi was trying to take it out her mouth, nuzzling her mouth etc. At one point Lexi was nuzzling underneath Lotties belly and pushing her along! Very strange, but funny to watch!
I have never seen them spend so much time in each other's company, they usually ignore each other! Then just now I found another escapee worm (must make sure the lid is on properly!) and they were fighting over it all over again. Well Lottie was doing the biting, Lexi was just worm hunting. This time when Lottie bit Lexi I actually saw a bit of skin or slime coat hanging out of her mouth, again I can't see any damage on Lexi though.
I don't know if they are just extra hungry and biting because of that (Lottie has always been the more aggressive, she bit a couple of bits off Lexi's gill feathers off a couple of months ago), or perhaps they are just fed up with each other? Do you think I might have to separate them?
I wondered if it was anything to do with their age, they are about 5 or 6 months old, about 7 inches long. I know at about 6 months they can breed and not knowing whether I have boys or girls could it be that they are getting towards adolescence and wanting to mate? I always thought I had two girls, but Lexi's cloaca (if that's what it's called) is slightly bigger than Lotties. Are females aggressive to males usually?

Last edited:
Hi Kerry,

It sounds like fairly normal juvenile axolotl behaviour and probably food related. I would keep an eye on them and maybe train them to feed at separate ends of the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back