yo, my axolotl is crazy

asprine

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Display Name
Mario Rodriguez
I would like to know if any of you can help me with this, my axolotl has been swimming like crazy all around the borders of its tank, it's weird because i get that these animals don't do that, any particular reason you may know?

How old is it?
How big is the tank?
Have you tested your water at all?
Do you have any hides for it?
Does the tank have strong overhead lighting?
Are there any other tankmates?
temperature of the tank?

Just a small rundown (lol) on things that will help us to help you.

How old is it? He is about 1 year old
How big is the tank? 40 lts.
Have you tested your water at all? Not really
Do you have any hides for it? yeah he has some rocks and artificial plants
Does the tank have strong overhead lighting? No, i dont keep it lit i know that they don't like light that much
Are there any other tankmates? no
temperature of the tank? 22°c

:wacko:hey, i don't know the exact reason :confused:but i think it means he's hungry. my axie dose it somtimes.
try tapping on the tank lid i have trained mine to stand up on his hind legs if he is hungry and if you don't know if yours is a girl or a boy the boys have a bump at the base of their tail.:D

How often do you carry out water changes and how much water do you remove each time?
How long have you owned him?
Is he still pacing the tank?
I'm thinking water quality at the moment...

Well its a girl probably, I always change 20% of the water in the tank about each week I don't know what I'm doing wrong he's just wandering and I can tell he is stressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long have you had the axolotl and how long has the tank been established - ie. has it been cycled? http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

Water Quality is very important to an axolotl's health.

If the tank has not completely cycled, weekly 20% partial water changes are not sufficient - you need to be doing them daily to dillute the wastes as axolotls release a lot of waste.

I would put the axolotl into a bucket of fresh dechlorinated water which will need to be changed 100% daily until you can ascertain if there is a problem with the tank's water quality.

If you do not have your own test kits, aquariums can test your water for you. The most important reading is for Ammonia levels.

Last edited:
I believe that a 40 litre tank is quite small for a one year old Axolotl. If it has grown properly, it would have a size of 20 cm+ - what measures does your tank have (lenght, depth, hight?)

As Havelock and Becky suspected, I would think about water quality issues. A small water body like this will soon reach a high concentration of certain chemicals (nitrate and phosphate if the tank is cycled, ammonia and nitrite if it is not or the bacteria cannot cope with the amount of waste products).

Try what Havelock suggested and put him in a bucket with clean water of at least do a major water change in your tank of more than 50%. And I would suggest you think about acquiring a bigger tank if possible.

Well he's really small, about 13-14cm, he settled down! i reduced the light even more and i put more hideouts, and i just fed him more than i did, but thanks for all your replies

My axolotls used to do that when under immense stress and when my ammonia was extremely high.
Its quite freaky , however with regular water changes I brought my ammonia down and I adjusted the water flow of my filter and added more hides and plants to decrease the amount of light in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back