NY Govt Press Release: DEC Investigating Mudpuppy Die-Off On Lake Erie Shore

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION 18 July 08 DEC Investigating Fish And Mudpuppy Die-Off On Lake Erie Shore (Maureen Wren, 518-402-8000)
Albany, NY: The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) is investigating the deaths of mudpuppies and fish washing up on the shore of Lake Erie. Mudpuppies, an aquatic salamander, along with smallmouth bass, catfish and sheephead are among the species that have been found dead at locations including Point Gratiot, Sunset Bay, Evangola State Park, and Sturgeon Point.
The mudpuppy and fish die-offs can be caused by a number of factors, such as water temperature changes or various diseases. DEC has collected a mudpuppy sample and has sent it to a lab for analysis and to potentially determine a cause of death.
Based on the characteristics of the species found to date, there is the potential that the mudpuppy and fish deaths are being caused by Type E botulism toxin, a poison produced by Clostridium botulinum. This bacterium is common in the environment and can produce harmful levels of botulism toxin under some conditions. This specific strain of botulism has affected fish, birds and other species in Lake Huron, Lake Erie, and Lake Ontario in recent years. The disease results from the ingestion of the toxin produced by the botulism bacterium and can be harmful to humans who eat birds or fish that have been poisoned by this toxin.
There have been no reports of any human illnesses associated with this recent mudpuppy and fish die-off.

http://readme.readmedia.com/news/sh...nd-Mudpuppy-Die-Off-On-Lake-Erie-Shore/255529

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back