Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Adding more axies

hogy33

Reaction score
I went to my local pet shop the other day and fell in love with the three axies, two big ones and a little one. I went to buy them today but the two biig ones had gone, so i just bought the little one. I was just wondering if at a later date there are more axies in the shop, if i could add them to the tank, or will this upset the axie, are they terretorial?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware there isn't any problem with introducing more axolotls to your existing one provided.......

1. You have a big enough tank to accommodate them, including two hides/shelters per axolotl.

2. You quarantine any new tank mates for 30 days before introducing them so that they don't pass on any diseases.

3. The new tank mates are no more than a third (I think) bigger than the axolotl already in the tank.

I'm no expert with this and I'm sure others will jump in with more advice. There are threads here on the boards about appropriate tank sizes for axolotls, I think you can search by key word for relevant posts.

Axolotls are addictive aren't they? Kerry.

oregon newt

Reaction score
Seeing as how quick you bought them, it doesn't seem like your tank is cycled. Until it is you will need to be doing daily water changes. What are your water parameters? How big is the tank? Here is an article about cycling http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml Did you do any research before on axolotls before you bought yours? If not, you should definitely check out these sites ww.caudata.org/cc/ and www.axolotl.org

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Hogy,

The above answers are right on. I would add to Kerry's point 3 that it is more likely that the axolotl you have will be larger than any newcomers, so that the 1/3 difference in size means that the new tank mates should not be 1/3 smaller than the one you already have (or your existing pet may try, more or less successfully, to eat the newcomers).

Axolotls are not territorial per se, but the do get large as adults and do need room.

As Oregon Newt wrote, the single most common and serious problem that new axolotl keepers experience stems from problems with water quality. Axolotls produce a surprising amount of waste (ammonia) which needs to be remedied by bacteria, which need time to develop.

Follow the links Oregon Newt included and you should be well armed (informed).

In any case, welcome to the addictive world of axolotls!

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1