Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Mysterious Newt Ailment

ael

Reaction score
I've been having some trouble with my firebelly newts. They both have small tan spots on their bellies, almost as if a scale were missing (if they were fish).

They live in a 5.5 gallon hexagon tank with several large rocks and plants: Red Ludwiga, Java Moss, Purple Waffle, and Variegated Acorus. They have about a gallon of water and several submerged rocks. Because it's been warm lately, I haven't been using a filter or the bubbler--instead, I've been changing half the water using a syphon and replacing it with water that sat overnight--and have placed a fan on top of the screen. I added ice twice when the temperature rose above 70, but the past few days have been cooler and the temperature stayed low. Here is a picture of the tank:
Tank.jpg

So what's wrong with them? Originally, I was only having trouble feeding them. I tried small crickets, earthworms, and various pellets for fish, and after some further research and suggestions in chat last night, put them in a small bucket with earthworms, freeze dried brine shrimp, and a packet of "newt food," that I believe were dried blackworms and pellets. Though they were left all night (in the dark and undisturbed after the initial attempt to jiggle the food in front of them) they don't appear to have had anything. As far as I know, it's been about 6-10 days since they've eaten.

Yesterday, though, I noticed they had small flesh-colored spots on their bellies. I couldn't get my camera to focus well, so bear with me.
Perchspotflash.jpg

Qspotflash.jpg

These extremely overexposed pictures show roughly the location of the spots (though their size is actually much smaller) and this is the best picture I could get of what they actually look like:
Qspot.jpg

Again, after suggestions last night, I ran my finger over it and it's definitely an indentation, not a parasite or bump. Though it looks almost like a wound, I don't think they've snapped at each other. Unless one of them is exploring or swimming or trying to climb the glass, they're twisted together and snuggling. They do this for hours and I've never seen them act aggressively (either during the cuddle or afterwards).

And while I don't know if this is relevant, one of them has a small similarly colored (but differently shaped) spot on it's side:
perchspot.jpg

I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions. And I apologize for the flood of information, but I wouldn't want to leave any possible newt-curing fact out!
Thank you

Lasher

Reaction score
They look to me like small wounds healing. I've had CO's fight before but rarey seen injuries on the belly due to it - are there any rough or sharp edges in the tank they could have snagged on?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How long have you had these newts? Are they recent acquisitions?

This first thing I would point out is that I don’t see any cover for them. Newt’s natural behaviour is to hide from predators. On land they require hides to crawl under where they can feel snug and unseen. In the water you can create caves out of flat rocks and broken pots. Without hides your newts will be feeling stressed and may go some way to explaining the lack of feeding.

Secondly the set-up you have is not ideal. It looks like you have an under gravel filter and a thick layer of gravel. Basically an under gravel filter will suck waste down into the gravel where it will stay. Even if you’re doing regular water changes there’s still a risk that a large amount of waste is still sitting at the bottom of your tank. You don’t want this – especially in a tank as small as yours, it could prove lethal. With very small tanks you are much better off with no substrate and no filter. An air stone to keep the water moving and regular water changes will be sufficient. The simpler you keep it, the healthier your newts will be. In the long term it may be better to invest in a larger tank.

It’s very hard to tell from the photo’s what the markings are. They could be sores. They’re very common in stressed, newly imported newts. Keep them cool, improve their living quarters and offer them appropriate food (live blood worms, blackworms, chopped earthworms etc).

Good luck
- Mark

ael

Reaction score
You actually can't see it in the picture, but the large grey rock is anchored over another to form a fairly deep ledge/cave thing (Though they do seem to prefer the cover of the plants to the rock ). And the tube holds an airstone, but I hadn't intended to use it until the weather cooled down--should I use it and continue to add ice or do you think the heat generated will be insignificant?

And the only sharp edges are really the edge of that same rock, but since it's even with the gravel, I don't see how they could snag themselves. Unless they come up from directly under the ledge...?

ETA: They are fairly recently purchased, so doubtless the enviornment change has only added to their stress (as well as my anxious-new-pet-owner freak outery).

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think these are skin ulcers, which is a common problem for newly-imported newts. What to DO about them is another matter. There is no clear consensus on what treatments work, if any. For starters, keep the newts clean and cool.

When you say you fed them earthworms, what kind were they, and were they whole or chopped? Forget about the various dried and pelleted foods, and keep trying with the earthworms, or any other live food you can get.

The water looks a bit cloudy - is there a reason for that? I have the same concern Mark mentioned - that all the waste and any uneaten food is going into the gravel and decaying there. In most cases, total water changes are to be avoided, but in this case it may be needed. The actual water volume you have in this tank is very small.

What kind of "bubbler" do you have? If it's air-driven (not motor-driven), there is no reason not to use it.

ael

Reaction score
An update and a desperate last question:

I have since put my newts in separate tanks--no gravel or filters, just a large rock, about an inch of water and some form of food (a small or cut up earthworm and either the "newt food" sample packet or freeze dried brine shrimp). One of them looks much better (and is a healthier size, despite the fact that I still haven't seen him eat) and I moved him back to the regular tank (where he's much more active, as well), but the other is--I'm fairly certain--dying.

The "tan spot" on the side has spread across more of his back and upper arm. While it still looks as if some of the skin has rubbed (or been torn?) off, in the quarantine tank, I can find nothing that would cause it. I noticed a few days ago that he had shed a layer of skin--which looked like normal shedding due to growth despite the fact that he's actually much smaller than he was when I bought him. He's also swimming (and even generally moving) very awkwardly, like it's a struggle. Is there anything I can do for him?
A friend of mine that raises newts is pretty sure he's dying, but I thought I'd see if anyone knew anything more...? Any help would be appreciated....despite the fact that he's fairly new, I do love the little guy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1