Question: need to cut up earthworms?

jlbarrett2

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lynn
I am so excited. Two of our 3 tiger larvae have morphed into beautiful salamanders! Mike is deep gray on top with a cream belly and what looks like "leopard" spots. Spike with yellow/cream with wonderful stripes.

My question is, when I feed them earthworms 2-3 times a week, do I need to cut them up? They seem so large for the little guys and I would hate for them to choke on them.

Also, I am using coco fiber as the substrate with a wonderful log for hiding and some greenery (fake) to help retain moisture. Spike seems to like to climb onto everything and try and get to the top of the setup. Is this normal?

Thanks for all your help! We only have one more little larvae, Cougar, who as of yet has not shown any signs of morphing. Once he changes over we will have 3 wonderful little guys! Will all 3 be okay in a 20 gallon land setup?

I am so excited. Two of our 3 tiger larvae have morphed into beautiful salamanders! Mike is deep gray on top with a cream belly and what looks like "leopard" spots. Spike with yellow/cream with wonderful stripes.

My question is, when I feed them earthworms 2-3 times a week, do I need to cut them up? They seem so large for the little guys and I would hate for them to choke on them.

Also, I am using coco fiber as the substrate with a wonderful log for hiding and some greenery (fake) to help retain moisture. Spike seems to like to climb onto everything and try and get to the top of the setup. Is this normal?

Thanks for all your help! We only have one more little larvae, Cougar, who as of yet has not shown any signs of morphing. Once he changes over we will have 3 wonderful little guys! Will all 3 be okay in a 20 gallon land setup?
Re cutting the worms prior to feeding, that would depend on how large the worm is. For a large worm I would recommend cutting it up into size-appropriate pieces. Here is a nice article on how this can be accomplished:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms2.shtml

Re activity of the one....some tigers are more active than others. If your substrate is appropriate and moist and the temp is around 70F or less I wouldn't be concerned. Stressed animals can be 'active' in their attemp to escape. A shallow water dish may also be used.

Re 20 gallon viv for 3 tigers....a 20 gallon long should be fine for 3 while they are juveniles. When they approach adult length, I would recommend only 2 tigers per 20 gallon long.

Congrats!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back