Paramesotriton checking I am doing it right!

Littlelotl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had these three for 3 weeks in a huge, bare plastic container (about 80 litres) and they have come on in leeps and bounds though they are still under weight.

Here is the tank they will be kept in it is 40 litres. I am planning on adding an under gravel filter and some tetra soil with gravel on top and another platform closer to the internal filter to break up the water flow. The filter is taken from an already established tank as is the slate, plants sand co2 diffuser and half the water. It has been set up and waiting since I got them three weeks ago. I have seeled all escape routes (I THINK!!)

Can people confirm that they are hongkongensis? Also sex, if possible, I think I have 2 of one sex and one of another but I am not sure which way round. Any hints appreciated.

Attachments

• newts 010.jpg
    newts 010.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 213
  • newts 007.jpg
    newts 007.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 201
  • newts 014.jpg
    newts 014.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 210
  • newts 019.jpg
    newts 019.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 187
  • newts 022.jpg
    newts 022.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 203
  • newts 024.jpg
    newts 024.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 205
  • newts 025.jpg
    newts 025.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 155
  • newts 031.jpg
    newts 031.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 186
Last edited by a moderator:
My best guess would be 1:2 male:female. And probably hongkongensis. I give no guarantees on this info.

Why will you add an undergravel filter? What you have there seems fine, and there are some drawbacks to UG filters. Also, if you have a way to monitor the ammonia level in the tank, and you're careful about removing uneaten food, I would say you could go ahead and put the newts in the tank.

They do look like hongkongensis, and one in particular looks painfully thin. Have they eaten for you yet? Try live earthworms, bloodworm and waxworms.

I agree with Jen about the undergravel filter. You'd be better off with a normal cannister type filter and occasional 20% water changes. They like a lot of vegetation in the tank, which also helps with the water quality.

Hongkongensis are quite forgiving, and easy to take care of if you get your setup right in the first place. Good luck with them, and keep us updated!

yes I am aware they are thin, I said so in the first post, they are all eating now (would you believe that the thin one has actually put on loads of weight before I took the picture!!) I dont understand why they are so thin because they all gorged themselves from day one all I can fathom is that they just weren't being fed. I have decided not to go with an undergravel filter after all as a fluval 105 from one of my other tanks became available (I now have a 305 for that tank) I have added the soil and gravel as planned and some minature amazon sword they seem to love it!!

That's great news. I'm glad they're eating well for you. Looking forward to more pics soon!

I will of course keep everyone updated, how about a mini update?

Attachments

• newt3 012.jpg
    newt3 012.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 180
  • newt3 016.jpg
    newt3 016.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 182
AW: Paramesotriton checking I am doing it right!

Hi,

when you add some floating plants your setup will be fine. And the newts are looking much better in relation to your first posted pictures.
I´m nearly sure they are Paramesotriton hongkongensis.

Greetings Ingo V.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back