PDA

View Full Version : Illness/Sickness: Regurgitating food

naymo
22nd July 2008, 12:24
Hey everyone,
Recently I have got in the habit of feeding Gypsy earthworms and pellets, she has never had a problem with the pellets and after a few goes eventually swallows the bits of worm. But over the last few daily feedings of a mixture of the two, she has regurgitated it up within 15 to 20 minutes later, of course it isn't digested and most of it is still recogniseable. I orginally thought it was because of the tempertature which is sitting at 15'C which is about 60'F I think. Is this too low for digestion to take place? Im unsure now because I think it may be the worms?

gr33neyes
22nd July 2008, 12:46
How old is Gypsy?

naymo
22nd July 2008, 21:58
Gypsy is within a year old, maybe a little younger or older.

Jacquie
22nd July 2008, 22:27
If the worms are red wrigglers - they will let off a noxious smell when cut or bitten. Have you noticed any smell from the worm when cutting them?

If the axie is about a year old, she only needs to be fed once every two or three days - If you are feeding her every day she just may be 'stuffed to capacity'. ;) Hold back the feeding.

gr33neyes
23rd July 2008, 06:56
Yes thats what I was thinking too Jacq about slowing down the feedings. Try cutting it down and see how that goes. Let us know.

naymo
23rd July 2008, 10:42
Thank you both, I will slow down the feeding and see what happens. Its just that she has been keeping down her pellets, until I introduced the worms to her diet. They do smell when I cut them, but I have always presumed it just smelt wormy..

Jacquie
23rd July 2008, 10:57
They do smell when I cut them, but I have always presumed it just smelt wormy..

You can't mistake it, it's quite a pong! ;) Nightcrawlers are the best type of earthworm as they are the most highly nutricous and don't smell apparently - they are tough to get hold of in Australia - not sure about New Zealand.

When feeding mine red wrigglers, I try to select a worm that will be gulped down in one gulp so my finicky axies don't have to chew it. I'm lucky that a couple of my axies don't care about the pong and will eat anything that wriggles with gusto.

Cheers Jacq.

naymo
23rd July 2008, 21:35
Hi again,
Im unsure if this is unrelated but Gypsy's rear is now bouyant and floating about half an inch off the ground, her front end is starting to rise too. I originally thought it might be a little constipation, could this still be the case or something different?Help and opinions?

Jacquie
23rd July 2008, 22:46
Hi again,
Im unsure if this is unrelated but Gypsy's rear is now bouyant and floating about half an inch off the ground, her front end is starting to rise too. I originally thought it might be a little constipation, could this still be the case or something different?Help and opinions?

Sounds like Gypsy is just trying to poop.