Illness/Sickness: Regurgitating food

naymo

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Sinead Culling
Hey everyone,
Recently I have got in the habit of feeding Gypsy earthworms and pellets, she has never had a problem with the pellets and after a few goes eventually swallows the bits of worm. But over the last few daily feedings of a mixture of the two, she has regurgitated it up within 15 to 20 minutes later, of course it isn't digested and most of it is still recogniseable. I orginally thought it was because of the tempertature which is sitting at 15'C which is about 60'F I think. Is this too low for digestion to take place? Im unsure now because I think it may be the worms?

Gypsy is within a year old, maybe a little younger or older.

If the worms are red wrigglers - they will let off a noxious smell when cut or bitten. Have you noticed any smell from the worm when cutting them?

If the axie is about a year old, she only needs to be fed once every two or three days - If you are feeding her every day she just may be 'stuffed to capacity'. ;) Hold back the feeding.

Last edited:
Yes thats what I was thinking too Jacq about slowing down the feedings. Try cutting it down and see how that goes. Let us know.

Thank you both, I will slow down the feeding and see what happens. Its just that she has been keeping down her pellets, until I introduced the worms to her diet. They do smell when I cut them, but I have always presumed it just smelt wormy..

They do smell when I cut them, but I have always presumed it just smelt wormy..

You can't mistake it, it's quite a pong! ;) Nightcrawlers are the best type of earthworm as they are the most highly nutricous and don't smell apparently - they are tough to get hold of in Australia - not sure about New Zealand.

When feeding mine red wrigglers, I try to select a worm that will be gulped down in one gulp so my finicky axies don't have to chew it. I'm lucky that a couple of my axies don't care about the pong and will eat anything that wriggles with gusto.

Cheers Jacq.

update

Hi again,
Im unsure if this is unrelated but Gypsy's rear is now bouyant and floating about half an inch off the ground, her front end is starting to rise too. I originally thought it might be a little constipation, could this still be the case or something different?Help and opinions?

Re: update

Hi again,
Im unsure if this is unrelated but Gypsy's rear is now bouyant and floating about half an inch off the ground, her front end is starting to rise too. I originally thought it might be a little constipation, could this still be the case or something different?Help and opinions?

Sounds like Gypsy is just trying to poop.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back