Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unexpected Newts

luvmycreatures

Reaction score
The other day I was in a town I'm not normally in for my son's baseball game. I had some time to kill and wandered into a pet shop. BIG mistake. This was one of those single owner, too much shop/too many animals, not enough people places. The mammals for the most part were in good shape but way over crowded. Then I saw 3 nasty tiny critter keepers, I NEVER should have looked. There were 3 paddle tailed newts and 4 red crabs (separate containers). There were DAFs in the last tank but with the fungal issues they are having I was afraid to take them home. I simply could NOT believe how filthy they were. So I broke my #1 rule of not buying a critter until prepared and my #2 rule of not supporting nasty pet shops. Right now I have the newts in an extra large critter keeper but I have a 55 gallon corner tank that I'm setting up for them. Is 55 gallons a reasonable size for 3 paddle tails? Will they be ok in the critter keeper for a couple of days? I have just about everything I need, I just have to read the forum and figure out the land to water ratio.
I've had several newts growing up but never this particular kind. The crabs are in fresh water (as she had them and they'll be gradually adjusted to brackish. I know she'll just replace them but I'll never have to walk in that place again.

keechoo

Reaction score
My 3 are in a 56 gallon and doing great. I wouldn't keep them all together in the critter keeper because they tend to be very aggressive with each other. One of mine bit the leg off of another on the way home from the store. They are aquatic newts so lots and lots of water. I would give them a floating dock so they can get out if they aren't feeling well. Mine come partially out when they fall ill. Give lots and lots of hiding places. Mine love plants planted right in front of their hides.

Hope this helped and good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1