Question: How fast can ammonia build up? Please Read!

brella

Reaction score
Country
United States
So how fast can ammonia build up in the tank to an unhealthy level? Since I'm cycling the tank, I've been doing a water change everyday around 1-2pm. Yesterday I did the water change and left for over 24 hours (approx. 28hrs.) When I got home, my axolotls seemed to be acting different. One of them was in the corner near the water filter and I never saw it there before. The other one seems to have it's gills slightly turned forward (but I'm not SURE about this.) Anyways, so I've done the water change now but I just fed them so there is food still in the tank. They are slowly eating it still. I will use my turkey baster to remove any food after they are done. But should I do another water change after?
I don't have a lot of money right now to buy the drip tests so I've only got the test strips to check levels. Therefore I can't tell if the ammonia is a problem for certain. Help please!

Hi Brella,

Ammonia spikes can build up quickly or not so quickly, it depends on a lot of factors in the aquarium such as the amount of animals in the tank, water volume, size of animals, feeding, etc - axolotls release a lot of waste - there are so many other factors too - these are just some of the basics.

Just keep up with the daily partial water changes to dillute the levels, be dilligent with the spot cleans and above all monitor the axolotls as without test kits to monitor the levels with accuracy, your best guides to the water quality are the axolotls themselves.

The signs of poor water quality common symptoms are:
  • Loss of appetite in the axolotls
  • Axolotls floating
  • Axolotls being lethargic
  • Fungul growth
  • Stress
  • Axolotls being constantly frantic and trying to get out of the water (ie. jumping frantically at the surface or ramming into tank walls)
If the gills are pointing forward this is a sign of stress. Is there any water movement in the tank? If it is just a once off thing, I wouldn't worry about it - Axolotls are easily spooked.

Are the axolotls eating well and staying down the bottom of the tank for the majority of time? If so, I wouldn't worry.

Test strips give inaccurate readings, I would not use or trust them.

Cheers J.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back