Planning on buying one in some years time, but I need to learn some stuff first.

ll Kirsty ll

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone! My name is Kirsty and from the moment I learned what an axolotl was, I fell in love. I really want to own one, in a few years time, maybe 4 or 5, when I have finished university.

I am currently an intermediate at coldwater fishkeeping and I have 3 goldfish and some zebra danios. My fishkeeping journey has been an interesting but difficult one, and I have come to the conclusion that aquatic animals are complicated to keep well. I, like most other people, went on a fish shopping spree when I got my first fish, and found out that there is so much more to it than you imagine. I lost several fish and a lot of money, lol, and wished that I had researched fishkeeping before I started, just like I would do before buying a cat or a dog.

Therefore, I have decided to join this forum on axolotls, years in advance, because although I know quite a bit of stuff about keeping things in water, I do not want to ever be an incompetent axolotl keeper at any point.

My main question is about living space. It's not that I'm a goldfish enthusiast, it's that it's true that one goldfish would need a minimum of 30 gallons (around 3 foot tank) to live its full life expectancey and grow to a healthy size.

I have read on the care page that 1 axolotl's minimum is only around 10 gallons? a 1.5 foot tank? Surely this cannot be true. Axolotls grow just as big if not bigger than goldfish, and look a lot more mobile, and heavier!

I was expecting something more like 6 foot for 2 or 3. Is it really true that they do not need that much space? If so, could someone tell me why? Are they not prone to stunting or dwarfing like fish are? And what about the bioload? I can't see 10 gallons of water accomodating a 10 inch creature, that can probably **** for America. Obviously, if this ISNT the case, that's a nice surprise, as the tank wont cost as much and I can spend on a cooler.

The other thing is temperature. I don't know how a cooler works, is it like, it moniters the temperature and if the temperature rises over a certain set ammount then it turns on until the desired temperature is reached??

Are there any places that I can even buy axolotls in the UK?

Can males be kept together?

Can I pick up an axolotl? (I'm thinking no but it's worth asking lol).

And if anyone has any more infromation that they feel is important to tell someone before they buy an axolotl including everything to do with care and advice on buying and equipment, as I'm sure there's loads to learn, please do tell me, I want to know eeeverything muhhahaha. I'm going to watch the forums regularly to hopefully gain a better understanding. I just want to know that I can look after one properly before I get one. Thankyou all.

Hi Kirsty,

And welcome to the forum!

I have read on the care page that 1 axolotl's minimum is only around 10 gallons? a 1.5 foot tank? Surely this cannot be true. Axolotls grow just as big if not bigger than goldfish, and look a lot more mobile, and heavier!

Axolotls can grow to an adult size anywhere between 7-14 inches.

Most people obtain their axolotl when the axolotl is at the juvenile stage which is anywhere from 3-5 inches. While the axolotl is at this stage of growth a ten gallon tank is the bare minimum size for a juvenile axolotl.

When the axolotl grows to adult size (and they grow very quickly), it's recommended to get a bigger tank of at least 2 foot in lengh for one axolotl as axies need a lot of floor space for their wanderings.

I was expecting something more like 6 foot for 2 or 3. Is it really true that they do not need that much space? If so, could someone tell me why? Are they not prone to stunting or dwarfing like fish are? And what about the bioload? I can't see 10 gallons of water accomodating a 10 inch creature, that can probably **** for America. Obviously, if this ISNT the case, that's a nice surprise, as the tank wont cost as much and I can spend on a cooler.

Axolotls need a lot of floor space and do release a lot of waste. If you check through the forum you will notice that people who keep an adult axolotl in a 10 gallon tank tend to check in with water quality related issues.

It's much easier on the owner if they plan ahead as you are doing and get the correct tank size to start with.

If you buy a six foot tank for two or three axies they are going to be very happy axies! ;)

Here are some tactics on cooling an aquarium: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

Can males be kept together?

Yes, axolotls live well enough in company of either gender as long as they have adequate space and enough hides so they can spend some 'time out' from one another if needed.

And if anyone has any more infromation that they feel is important to tell someone before they buy an axolotl including everything to do with care and advice on buying and equipment, as I'm sure there's loads to learn, please do tell me, I want to know eeeverything muhhahaha.

Water quality is most important to an axolotl's health. As you keep fish, I am assuming you know about cycling an aquarium? http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

The best substrates are bare bottom tank or sand. Suitable sand includes childrens play sand (the cheapest!), fresh water aquarium sand or pool filter sand. DO NOT USE beach sand or marine sand. The sand needs to be cleaned thoroughly before being added to the tank.

These links will help on care and equipment:

http://www.axolotl.org/
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/setups1.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml

I personally use external filters for my axie tanks as they take up no space at all in the tank and they do not warm the water as internal filters can.

Ideal food types for axolotls:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

For futher personal on hand experiences, feel free to check out the forum or drop in the chat room where someone may be available to offer more instant answers ;)

Good Luck! Cheers Jacq.

Thanks very much for that. Ive always belived that the bigger the tank the better it looks in your living room anyway lol. Goldfish grow up to 10 inches sometimes even bigger.

I am familiar with cycling phew :). I will probably have more questions in the near future lol, thanks again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back