Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I have a new male; what colour?

naymo

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have a new male axie. Hes an albino but Im stumped on which colouration he is.
i orignially thought a gold. But now Im leaning towards melanoid. In proper light he has apale yellow tinge to him,
his head it a tad brighter than the rest of his body. Maybe im just being wierd, and he is just a gold albino. But i dunno, opinions anyone? =)

And I was also thinking what an axanthic axolotl would look like?

Attachments

• Copyofaxies023.jpg
    Copyofaxies023.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Copyofaxies022.jpg
    Copyofaxies022.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Copyofaxies021.jpg
    Copyofaxies021.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 147
  • axies012.jpg
    axies012.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 135

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's an axanthic albino - these tend to have a yellowish tint to their skin but are not as golden as a gold albino.

naymo

Reaction score
Yeah I agree when I first looked in his tank at the pet shop I thought he was axanthic, but I wasn't sure. He didn't quite look like a gold albino, he seems to pale.

naymo

Reaction score
He looks more yellow/orange in the photos though, the last ones the closest to his colour. Lol I dunno, maybe he IS just a gold albino

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
He doesn't seem to have any iridophores.... but no idea what that means !
According to my book ( Axolotl care and breeding in captivity by Peter W Scott) an axanthic albino would have dull black eyes.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Julia, albinos can't have black eyes. An axanthic albino would have dull red/pink eyes.

Count me in for the axanthic albino. I don't see any sign of iridophores in any of the pictures.

ianclick

Reaction score
Me too

Axanthic Albino. But whatever it is its a great looking axolotl and a cool colour

naymo

Reaction score
Great! He's axanthic thats pretty cool,
He has also just recently become a daddy.
So I wonder if I will get axanthic babies

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You will if the mom carries the axanthic gene. Also note that non-albino axanthics do not thrive, and almost never make it to adulthood.

naymo

Reaction score
Oh okay, so when the embryos begin to develop and the features and colours of the babies is visible, will it be difficult to recognise an axanthic,I don't want to raise an axanthic if its going to be weak. I was just wondering what the eggs are worth money wise, I don't want to sound completely newbie or anything, but I am offering them for sale here and I would like to sell them as opposed to giving away because Id like to use the money towards raising my chosen 20 or so. If that makes sense?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You won't be able to tell until after they hatch. They usually die within a few days to a week of hatching.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1